Senior Engineer, Server
At VSCO, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace where everyone’s unique talents and perspectives are celebrated. Our mission is to nurture creativity and empower creators to express themselves through our leading photo and video editor. As a leading photo and video editor with a library of 200+ premium quality presets and tools, an easy-to-use video editor, and a curated collection of photography from our global community of talented creators, we are dedicated to fostering meaningful interactions and mastery of craft.
We are seeking humble overachievers and self-starters who are naturally curious, highly organized, and thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. If you have a passion for server-side technologies and love to collaborate with cross-functional teams, we would love to welcome you to our integrative and ambitious culture.
- Write, review and maintain code primarily in Go
- Design and implement efficient and scalable distributed microservices for our platform
- Collaborate with Web and Mobile engineers to ensure seamless integration between the frontend and backend
- Ensure the performance, scalability and security of distributed microservices
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to the team on server-side technologies
- Continuously monitor and improve the performance of the server-side infrastructure
- Help define strategic outcomes and lead projects that will drive value for our platform stakeholders, and help us meet business objectives
- 6+ years of experience in backend/server-side development
- Strong experience with Go/Golang, gRPC, REST, NoSQL and SQL database technologies
- Strong experience and knowledge in distributed systems and modern design patterns
- Good understanding of concurrency and multithreading patterns
- Familiarity with asynchronous messaging systems like Kafka/RabbitMQ
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Exposure to and experience with good CI/CD practices and tools (i.e use of GithubActions, CircleCI, Kubernetes, Docker etc…)
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to drive product requirements and architecture discussions
Nice to haves
- Passion for design and strong desire to contribute to a distributed team
- Experience with specific distributed data-stores such as MongoDB, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch etc. as well as traditional SQL stores such as MySQL etc
- Familiarity with PHP, NodeJS, Ruby, Python
- Passionate about driving innovation
- Eagerness to learn and grow within VSCO
- A virtual first workplace with quarterly company-wide travel events to connect and play.
- Competitive Salary & Equity
- Healthcare insurance, vision, dental insurance for employees and families
- Flexible vacation policy
- Creative Fridays, VSCO Create weeks (our version of hack week), and so much more.
We value the creative process and our employees’ opinions — input is encouraged, regardless of your position or title. We want to work with people who are driven and demonstrate initiative in taking our mission to the next level.
We believe in building a safe place for creative expression and celebrating that which makes us human, welcoming unique and personal backgrounds and experiences. We’re proud to foster diverse perspectives within VSCO as we continue to build an inclusive culture.
The base salary for this position may vary based on several factors, including the approved job level. The base salary range for this role is $161,000 - $180,000. Salary is one component of our total compensation package. This position also qualifies for bonuses and equity (i.e. stock options). The benefits available for this position include flexible time off, a 401K retirement plan, insurance (medical, dental, vision, life/AD&D, short and long term disability), and 11 paid holidays. We also provide paid sick time as required by state and local law. Additional benefits and perks are also offered for this position.