Engineering Manager (REMOTE or NYC)
About Tomorrow Health
At Tomorrow Health, we are reimagining the future of home-based care. We focus on improving the way individuals and their families manage home medical equipment and supplies. Our company is led by repeat founders who have built $3+ billion dollar businesses in healthcare and e-commerce, with institutional backing from Andreessen Horowitz and other VCs and founders. We know the incredible impact that each early hire can bring, and we’re looking for instrumental additions to our small, focused team.
We believe that a team’s strength is in its people. Our goal is to raise the industry standard for patient experience, and we realize this cannot be achieved without a team that reflects the vast diversity in race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, and set of experiences and perspectives of the patients we serve. We believe in putting patients first, that many perspectives are stronger than one, and in treating those we serve just as we would our own family members. If you’re passionate about improving healthcare delivery, leveraging technology to serve people, and working in a collaborative, diverse environment, we hope you’ll join us.
About the role
The engineering team at Tomorrow Health builds the foundational technology that serves a diverse set of users – doctors, insurance companies, medical equipment suppliers – and ultimately enables us to deliver a high quality patient experience. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Engineering Manager will deeply understand user needs and is accountable for the delivery and support of systems and features for a critical charter within the ecosystem. The role will have direct reporting responsibilities of 1-2 scrum teams. The Engineering Manager will partner with product and business counterparts to define and execute the roadmap of their team. They will be a technical and thoughtful leader for the business, collaborating cross functionally across the company. This role will develop and lead a world class, mission-driven engineering team, establish and foster a strong engineering culture rooted in quality and delivery, and scale the usage of our technology systems to touch the lives of millions of patients.
What you’ll do:
- Lead 1-2 cross functional teams of engineers focused on a specific charter area, such as digitizing and automating operational processes and tools for payors and internal teams or designing and building the patient experience.
- Collaborate with product and business leaders to develop a multi-quarter roadmap that includes project timelines, system improvements for current, plans for future systems and the staffing plan for the team.
- Be a technical leader who can set the vision, inspire and execute on the roadmap.
- Be able to dive deep into technical issues and keep a high bar for delivery and quality.
- Build a high performing, collaborative and inclusive team that helps each other with a willingness to learn and teach each other.
- Coach and mentor individual contributors.
- Embrace and champion agile development practices. Execute end-to-end software development and deployment in an agile environment.
- Iterate with our UX and Product teams in an agile environment to bring features from conception to launch.
- Promote simplicity in solving complex problems across our products and teams as we scale.
- Play a key role in people-related initiatives including recruiting, onboarding, performance reviews, training, career advancement, etc.
- You have at least 2 years of experience as an engineering manager and 5 years in software development.
- You have engineering management experience and have demonstrated experience in managing engineers, growth of engineering talent, and execution of large scale engineering projects (used by tens of thousands of users).
- You have previous experience as an engineer and technical lead. You have the ability to empower engineers and unblock projects.
- You have knowledge of full stack product development. You understand the basics of frontend and backend systems required to run customer facing websites and tools.
- You have knowledge of the code and tools required for development of engineering solutions for both operational and customer-facing problems.
- You have experience digitizing and automating operational processes and workflows.
- You have the ability to sketch out and iterate on solid engineering architecture and designs.
- You are comfortable working in a startup environment with several dynamic and concurrent projects.
- You are a proactive technical leader with experience owning roadmaps and directing your team’s work.
- You are a clear communicator who instinctively reduces ambiguity and promotes transparency with team members.
- You have a track record of continual learning and improvement throughout your career.
- You strive for excellence and know that there is always room to do better.
- You believe deeply in the idea that the future of healthcare can be significantly better, and are driven by the opportunity we have in front of us to make it a reality!
How we work
We have designed & built our culture around a set of core values. We look for candidates who embody those values and will help bring them to life through their work. As part of the interview process, we share those values with candidates and actively search for people who will thrive in our environment. At a high level, our values are:
- Fight like hell for patients
- Change the system from within
- Report to the goal
- Be the catalyst
- Work hard and work smart
- Do more with less
- Assume best intent
- Aim high and dream big
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental and vision benefits
- HSA and FSA (Dependent Care and Commuter)
- Fully covered membership in One Medical for on-demand primary care, and Teladoc for 24/7 virtual care
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave for all caregivers
- Free mental health support with BetterHelp through CONCERN EAP
- Short-term, and long-term disability plan availability
- Company-sponsored Life and AD&D insurance
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter Benefits
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Access to Vanguard 401k plan
- Unlimited vacation and 11 corporate holidays
- Thoughtfully curated monthly hosted events including social events, learning sessions, and wellness sessions
- Annual company summit in NYC
- Investor network support
Salary range for this position: $190,000 - $210,000, depending on experience and qualifications
Learn more about our core values and work with us on our careers page!
Tomorrow Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.