Your work will change lives. Including your own.
The Impact You’ll Make
The High Throughput Anchor is the data generation engine that powers Recursion’s many drug discovery programs and teams. We own tools that Recursion’s scientists and data scientists use to design, execute, and analyze millions of experiments every week. We are seeking a full-stack software engineer to join us as in our efforts to industrialize high-scale experimentation and analysis. In this role, you will:
- Create a world-class research platform. You'll work with data scientists, biologists, medicinal chemists, and lab technicians to quickly develop complex experiments and iterate on novel analyses leveraging petabytes of data.
- Build relatability into a heterogeneous dataset. At Recursion, we generate datasets based on a wide swath of diverse biological models and treatment approaches. You'll work with Data Scientists to build relatability and queryability into these datasets so they can be used in five years to answer the sorts of questions we haven't even thought of asking yet.
- Provide visibility into operations. You'll create tools, dashboards, and metrics to help lab operations design and execute experiments, move and archive large quantities of biologically relevant data, grant early insight into the quality of proposed experiments, and track the provenance of key drug development decisions.
This position is based either in our headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah or our office in Toronto, Ontario. This is not a remote position.
The Team You’ll Join
The Insight Generation team develops products for every step of the process of exploring biological data. This includes designing, tracking, and executing experiments, transmitting and archiving the resulting data, and running arbitrary analysis code against all that we have discovered. This broad ownership makes this an ideal team for a full-stack developer who wants to learn to work with data platforms, or for a data engineer who wants to do more custom application development.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Experience programming professionally in projects with some ambiguity and technical complexity.
- Experience being resourceful and collaborative in order to complete large projects. We don't have much in the way of project managers.
- A people-first mindset. We work closely with people from a wide variety of professional and academic disciplines. Despite the deadlines, we always prioritize supporting our coworkers in their growth and experience.
- Solid computer science fundamentals, e.g. data structures, event streaming, etc
- A background in biology background is not necessary, but intellectual curiosity is a must!
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.
Something looks off?