Senior Data Engineer, Data Platforms
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
At Recursion, we combine experimental biology, chemistry, automation and artificial intelligence to quickly and efficiently identify treatments for diseases. We generate a wide variety of data across different biological and chemical domains. Reporting to the Data Platforms Engineering Manager, the Data Engineer will develop solutions and infrastructure such as Data Lake and Orchestration tools, that will be used to ingest, model, transform and visualize this data. Success in this role means the right data is at the fingertips of the right people so they can make the right decisions and discover medicines that will change lives.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Build, scale, and operate a data platform. You will be a member of the platforms team responsible for building, operating, and tuning a data platform that allows users to discover and query across the breadth of our data at Recursion, which includes a chemistry library of billions compounds, PBs of cellular microscopy images taken in millions of different experimental contexts involving to support Recursion’s drug discovery.
- Build relatability into a heterogeneous dataset. At Recursion, we generate datasets based on a wide swath of diverse biological models and treatment approaches. You'll work with Data Scientists to build relatability and query-ability into these datasets so they can be used in the future to answer the sorts of questions we haven't even thought of asking yet.
- Act as a mentor, coach, and sponsor. You will share your technical knowledge and experiences, delivering impact, learning, and growth across teams at Recursion.
The Team You’ll Join
- You will join the Data Lake team that built a Data Lake/house last year. The team is responsible for relational and object storage and has the motto: all Data flows to the Data Lake. The team solves the problem of making our diverse data discoverable, queryable, and relatable across datasets while we continue to add new data modalities as we grow. This will require collaboration with many different groups including teams building out reports, dashboards, and applications, teams finding and generating the required data for the machine learning problems, and teams building and iterating on new data processing pipelines.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Experience working on data platforms that enable the discovery, query, and processing of large datasets. Experience delivering projects with significant ambiguity and technical complexity, ideally spanning multiple production systems and involving diverse technologies.
- Experience being resourceful and collaborative in order to complete large projects. We don't have much in the way of project managers.
- Be up to date on industry trends and tools. You understand the tradeoffs between different data platform architectures and technologies like a data lake, a data warehouse and can draw on this knowledge to develop data platforms solutions for Recursion.
- Excitement to learn parts of our tech stack that you might not already know. Our current tech stack includes: Python, dbt, Airflow, Big Query, PostgreSQL, GCP Buckets, CI/CD, Infrastructure as Code. Our cloud services are provided by Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience working collaboratively on projects with significant ambiguity and technical complexity, ideally spanning multiple systems and involving diverse technologies.
- A people-first mindset. Despite the deadlines, we always prioritize supporting our coworkers in their growth and experience.
- A drive to deliver technical solutions that are easily monitored and understood as they run in production and the effects of change can be readily quantified.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.
Something looks off?