Staff Computational Biologist
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
The Impact You’ll Make
As part of Recursion's internal pipeline team, you will be at the forefront of reimagining drug discovery from first principles using Recursion’s massive data capabilities. You will be the primary computational lead on one or more internal drug/clinical programs with the freedom and support to collaboratively define and execute a research program to bring promising discoveries from early-stage hit-identification to pre-clinical development. Working alongside world-class biologists, medicinal chemists, engineers, data scientists and ML scientists, you'll design experiments, develop new methods, analyze and interpret results and inform key program decisions with the ultimate goal of bringing life-changing therapeutics to patients.
- Synthesize diverse datasets (internal and external) from comp bio, med chem, target id, SAR, DMPK, ADMET, biomarker discovery, etc. to accelerate programs (primarily in oncology).
- Architect analyses and experiment cascades to collect and combine diverse data that inform statistically-sound decisions weighing risks and benefits.
- Present and discuss data with decision makers and stakeholders in a clear and compelling way that drives toward getting medicines to patients.
- Industrialize approaches and analyses to not only solve for the current project, but also to accelerate future projects and scale the impact that we can have.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Recursion’s data science and ML teams to further advance Recursion’s ability to interpret and translate large-scale phenomics data into therapeutic programs.
This position is based at our headquarters in Salt Lake City, UT or our primary satellite office in Toronto, Canada.
The Team You’ll Join
We are building an interdisciplinary group centered on machine learning and inference-based discovery of drug programs from first principles. Close collaboration between computational biologists across multiple therapeutic areas (primarily oncology) and with data scientists on the core build teams provides a strong network of feedback and support in setting timelines, refining ideas, automating repetitive workflows, piloting, productionalizing and more. Our group is a bold, agile, diverse collective of biological, computational, drug discovery, and machine learning scientists deeply focused on the singular goal of bringing new therapeutics to patients at an accelerated pace. You will collaborate extensively with data scientists, chemists, engineers, commercial strategists, and biologists throughout the organization to advance milestones and provide insights to further advance Recursion’s capabilities. Essential attributes to this role include a bold, execution-first attitude and passion for deploying rigorous science to bring life-changing therapies to patients.
The Experience You’ll Need
- PhD in a relevant field (computational biology, bioinformatics, statistics, quantitative pharmacology, cancer/cell biology, etc.) with 3+ years of experience applying professional competencies to fundamental problems in oncology or drug discovery
- Experience applying computational methods (including probabilistic, statistical, and/or machine learning techniques) to analyze complex biological and/or human clinical data.
- Fluency and experience working with high-level programming language such as Python or R for complex data analysis.
- General understanding of small molecule drug discovery and pharmacology.
- Efficiency in advancing drug-discovery projects, carrying and prioritizing among multiple projects and efficiently advancing projects to proof of concept.
- Experience in efficiently advancing drug program projects from proof of concept to preclinical Industry oncology drug discovery experience preferred.
- Bold, passionate and highly collaborative with experience working in cross-functional teams
- Ability to clearly explain computational analyses and methodologies to cross-functional and non-technical teams.
- Exceptional data visualization skills through creation of plots, documentation and presentations.
Nice To Have:
- Experience designing high throughput experiments to address biological questions, either on your own or in collaboration with bench scientists.
- Experience analyzing data from imaging- and/or genomics-based modalities.
- Experience evaluating and prioritizing compounds during SAR and lead optimization cycles.
- Individuals with 5+ years of experience in a directly relevant drug-discovery setting will be considered for staff-level.
How You'll be Supported:
- Training on Recursion’s culture and values and our Drug Discovery & Development processes to provide insight to our unique approach and strategy for success
- Regular 1:1s with supervisor and colleagues provide opportunities for support and feedback
- Opportunity to attend conferences and workshops in Oncology and / or Computational Biology
- Multiple opportunities for leadership and mentorship training as well as working with cross-functional teams
At Recursion, we believe that every employee should be compensated fairly. Based on the skill and level of experience required for this role, the estimated current annual base range for this role is:
- Developing: $199,000
- Skilled: $207,000
- Expert: $222,000
To learn more about our level within levels, click here.
You will also be eligible for bonuses and equity compensation + our comprehensive benefits package for United States based candidates. The range displayed on each job posting reflects target ranges for US new hire salaries and is determined by job, level, and market factors.
During the interview selection process, you will connect with a Talent Acquisition Partner who will be your advocate and ally to ensure you receive the appropriate compensation that meets your needs for your skills, experience, and relevant education/training, while also reviewing our very competitive total rewards package.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Recursion is a clinical stage TechBio company leading the space by decoding biology to industrialize drug discovery. Enabling its mission is the Recursion OS, a platform built across diverse technologies that continuously expands one of the world’s largest proprietary biological and chemical datasets. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset a collection of trillions of searchable relationships across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Recursion is headquartered in Salt Lake City, where it is a founding member of BioHive, the Utah life sciences industry collective. Recursion also has offices in Toronto, Montreal and the San Francisco Bay Area. Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.