Valence Labs Scholar Program
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
About Valence Labs
Valence Labs is a research and productization engine within Recursion dedicated to advancing the frontier of AI in drug discovery. Combining the intellectual freedom of academia with the resources and stability of industry, we develop novel AI technologies to spearhead a fundamental shift in the way we discover and develop treatments for complex disease. Our research is driven by optimism, purpose, and a shared vision for a healthier tomorrow. We publish in top journals and conferences, are deeply committed to open-science and open-source, and maintain some of the largest and most active research communities in our industry. Our team is headquartered in Montreal, where we share close connections with Mila, the world’s largest deep learning research institute.
About the scholarships:
The Valence Scholarship is a competitive program aimed to support exceptional MSc or PhD students pursuing research in the field of AI for drug discovery, or students aspiring to begin applying their research to the domain of drug discovery.
Scholarships are offered to support the training & development of the next generation of leaders in this field. Through this initiative, Valence hopes to encourage and support novel innovations in AI that can accelerate the design and discovery of novel therapeutics that improve lives.
The impact you’ll have:
You’ll join other Scholars to accelerate your research and ensure it's aligned with the needs of the next generation of technology-driven drug discovery. You’ll ensure your academic work will have a lasting impact in a rapidly evolving field by allowing you to pressure-test your most disruptive ideas with experienced scientists working on real-world drug discovery programs.
With your collaborators, you’ll work on the hardest problems, including how to increase the efficiency and success of drug discovery programs. Through collaboration, your expertise will benefit an entire community and broader areas of science.
How you will be supported:
Recipients of the Valence Scholarship will benefit from:
- Financial support in the form of a stipend or tuition fee assistance.
- Opportunities to collaborate with researchers at Valence Labs, including participation in ongoing projects likely to yield high-impact publications.
- Mentorship from distinguished scientists and industry experts from within the Valence Labs network.
- Access to state-of-the-art computational and experimental resources to conduct research and evaluate models.
- Eligibility for travel grants allowing for in-person work from Mila in Montreal.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in or have proof of acceptance for a full-time MSc or PhD program in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Bioinformatics, Computational Chemistry, or related discipline.
- Demonstrate a genuine interest in doing research at the intersection of AI and drug discovery or development, including a thoughtful research agenda detailing how they intend to contribute to the field.
- Have the ability to clearly communicate and articulate complex scientific material such as prior research experience or projects.
Interested applicants should submit:
- A proof of enrollment or acceptance in an MSc or PhD program.
- A 1-2 page research proposal detailing their plan for contributing to AI and drug discovery or development. The proposal should include research objectives, methodologies, and expected outcomes.
Candidates demonstrating strong potential for advancing the field will be invited for an interview to discuss their research interests and alignment with the Scholarship’s objectives. Finally, selected Scholars will receive funding in accordance with their personal and institutional preferences.
Applications will be received on a rolling basis and awards given for as long as funds are available.
Join us in advancing drug discovery through AI. The Valence Scholarship presents a unique opportunity for talented and passionate students to make a lasting impact on the future of drug discovery during their studies. By bridging the gap between industry and academia, Scholars will play a vital role in shaping the future of healthcare and scientific innovation.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.