Machine Learning Engineer (Valence Labs)
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
About Valence Labs
Valence Labs is a research and productization engine within Recursion dedicated to advancing the frontier of AI in drug discovery. Combining the intellectual freedom of academia with the resources and stability of industry, we develop novel AI technologies to spearhead a fundamental shift in the way we discover and develop treatments for complex disease. Our research is driven by optimism, purpose, and a shared vision for a healthier tomorrow. We publish in top journals and conferences, are deeply committed to open-science and open-source, and maintain some of the largest and most active research communities in our industry. Our team is headquartered in Montreal, where we share close connections with Mila, the world’s largest deep learning research institute.
About the role
We’re seeking an experienced Research Engineer to shape and lead the development of software and AI systems that will help in our mission of decoding biology to radically improve lives. We're looking for individuals with strong engineering skills, including expertise in designing, implementing, improving, and deploying distributed machine learning systems at significant scale. In addition, we highly value proficiency with state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms and exceptional problem solving skills. In this role, you will:
- Support Valence Labs’ research agenda across ML for drug discovery.
- Engage with and contribute to open-source libraries developed by Valence and the research community.
- Create and improve novel ML methods that will accelerate drug discovery.
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of dry and wet lab scientists to inform and improve our models and systems.
- Effectively present and communicate research findings through talks, blog posts, publications, and conferences.
- PhD or equivalent practical experience in a technical field.
- Strong programming skills and understanding of modern software development practices, especially in Python.
- Proven track record in machine learning, including designing new architectures, hands-on experimentation, analysis, visualization, and model deployment.
- Demonstrated capability to understand and summarize scientific content and implement deep learning models based on descriptions from publications.
- Strong knowledge of linear algebra, calculus, and statistics.
- 4+ years of experience using ML and scientific computing frameworks.
- Passion for applying ML research to real-world problems.
Nice to have:
- Experience in building and deploying high-performance implementations of deep learning algorithms.
- Authorship of publications in peer-reviewed conferences (e.g., NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, or similar).
- Contribution to high-visibility ML codebases.
- Scientific knowledge of biology, chemistry, or physics along with previous experience working in a scientific environment across disciplines.
At Valence Labs, we foster an inclusive and diverse work environment. Join our multidisciplinary team of passionate researchers, eager to push the boundaries of ML research and contribute to technology that will transform drug discovery and human health.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.