Account Executive, Canadian Federal
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Based in eastern Canada, the Account Executive, Canada Federal will find new opportunities, generate sales pipeline, manage and expand existing government relationships within Canadian Federal Civil and Environmental agencies as we continue to grow sales according to the business plan. The ideal candidate is a driven, independent thinker, who can also be creative in identifying and developing new use cases and solutions within the Federal government space. This person will have a proven track record of navigating and selling within the Canadian Federal Government and an aptitude to constantly learn new things. You will identify, qualify, negotiate, and close large-scale government contracts, drive sales and increase Planet’s visibility within Canadian Federal agencies and departments. Most likely, you will have previous experience working with environmental and civil government agencies. Above all else, we want our potential candidate to enjoy our unique value proposition and join Planet on our mission to see change and change the world.
You will develop a deep understanding of the current federal landscape, policies and departmental mandates, drive an extensive pipeline of new sales opportunities, provide product and sales demonstrations to prospective customers, and formulate appropriate relationships with accounts.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Drive strategic engagement and governmental relationships to maintain, renew and grow business with new and existing government accounts
- Generate pipeline and revenue from civil and environmental governmental agencies by working with Planet’s SDR team, maintain outbound, self-directed prospecting and networking, identify new business opportunities, expand relationships and close sales
- Help inform and develop Planet’s Federal government strategy, providing guidance and recommendations to product, marketing and the Commercial Leadership team on increasing Planet’s footprint within the Federal market, and developing a cohesive and actionable plan to do so
- Manage the government contracting process.
- Identify new partnership opportunities to expand Planet’s government presence while working with existing partners as needed
- Collaborate with Sales Engineers and Professional Services for prospect meetings and presentations to understand departmental needs, develop thoughtful solutions, generate proposals and present pricing to key government personnel
- Working collaboratively with Customer Success Managers to set client expectations, ensure successful outcomes and secure repeatable and predictable business
- Develop comprehensive and informed account plans, highlighting existing and potential opportunities and quarterly plans to maximize account engagement and revenue
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date pipeline, sales forecast and CRM
What You Bring:
- Demonstrated success in self-directed prospecting and identifying and closing business within existing and new accounts in the Federal Government
- 5+ years of related experience in Software, Data as a Service, Geospatial or Earth Observation industries with a demonstrated track record of success
- 5+ Experience selling to environment, climate change, forestry, fisheries and agriculture focused agencies or organizations, including understanding the nuances of a complex sales and procurement process and how to navigate multiple government agencies and divisions within those agencies
- A excellent collaborator, working with multiple internal stakeholders to drive and retain business, increase Planet’s Federal reach, product market fit and future areas for growth
- Ability to develop a detailed and achievable sales plan, forecast accurately and manage a pipeline of opportunities
- Ability to source, sell, co-sell, and close large deals and government contracts; carrying quota and closing should be familiar concepts
- Ability to run deep discovery meetings by identifying and understanding the prospect’s challenges and needs, gaining consensus with multiple stakeholders and engaging in complex solution evaluations, and navigating the government procurement process
- Excellent communication skills, bi-lingual (French) a plus
- Self-starter, able to work independently under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills
- The ability to interact successfully across cultures
- Negotiation and persuasion skills
- Critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills
- Live in eastern Canada, preferably the greater Ottawa area
- Experience with CRM, outreach tools and forecasting solutions
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Federal experience
- Background in GIS, remote sensing or related field
- Knowledge of consultative selling techniques such as MEDDPICC, Challenger Sale or similar
- Experience identifying, prospecting and establishing new use cases within existing and new accounts
- Fluency in French
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Know Your Rights.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the hiring process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.