Manager, Billing Operations
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is seeking an experienced Billing Operations Manager. This role is primarily responsible for timely and accurate processing of Planet’s billing and collections. You will work with customers to identify and resolve billing issues, reconcile accounts and drive monthly collections. A successful individual will be self-motivated—someone who can recognize how processes can improve and effectively implement positive changes. The candidate must also be able to build strong cross-functional relationships and demonstrate exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Manage Quote to Cash process including order processing, invoicing, and collections
- Monitor, track, and enforce AR department policies and procedures, identifying inefficiencies, proposing and documenting new concepts and procedures
- Review new customer billing/contract set up as well as maintenance and updates to existing customer records
- Create and review billing schedules
- Manage credit card payments and cash reconciliation
- Monitor and maintain the DSO
- Communicate directly with key customer and internal contacts to resolve past due balances
- Provide statement of accounts to customers as requested
- Careful review of all invoices before they are sent to the customers
- Manage customer portals and vendor registrations
- Follow up with Customer Success team on order fulfillment
- Run credit checks for new partners and customers
- Keep accurate and detailed customer collection notes in system of record
- Record bad debt provisions per company policy
- Manage tax exemption certificates for resellers/customers
- Assist with monthly, quarterly and yearly close processes, including preparation of month end journal entries as needed
- Prepare AR related disclosures
- Hire, train, and mentor team members including offshore team
- Assist with ad hoc reporting and projects as needed
What You Bring:
- A minimum of 4 years in a role with a similar scope
- Experience of leading and managing teams
- Experience with NetSuite and Salesforce
- Strong unquestionable ethics and discretion when dealing with confidential and sensitive data
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or other quantitative major
- Experience working effectively across internal and external organizations
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Highly proficient in Excel
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Ability to thrive in a high-growth environment
- Positive, get-it-done attitude and agile approach to problem solving
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $60,900 - $100,100. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Something looks off?