Technical Product Marketing Manager
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is looking for a strategic technical product marketer to help grow the market for Planet’s high-resolution imagery products, enabling business expansion by operationalizing go-to-market strategies across industries and countries. This role sits within the Marketing team, as part of the dynamic Product & Industry Marketing group.
This role will be embedded in broad cross-functional, go-to-market initiatives that ultimately drive revenue for Planet and help lay the foundation for our new missions. Responsibilities include engaging with customers, partners, and internal stakeholders, leading product launch activities, building messaging and positioning, and synthesizing market trends and new use cases that Planet products can address.
You will work closely with the Product organization in defining customer & partner challenges and providing input to the road-map for new features that address critical unmet needs. You will work closely with the Commercial organization to ensure “field readiness,” determine effective engagement strategies and arm them with the right messaging, content, and competitive insights.
To be successful in this role, you will bring a clear perspective on how to bring new geospatial data-as-a-service (DaaS) and enterprise software products to an evolving market, with a detailed understanding of how to develop buyer and user personas and the stages of their buying journey. An attention to detail and an eye for high quality are critical to your success, along with an ability to articulate our products’ differentiated value in ways that resonate with our audiences in different industries. This role is expected to routinely present at external conferences, events, and webinars, and should be adept at public speaking and evangelizing Planet’s mission and products.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Deeply understand the geospatial data and analytics market, where Planet fits; identify opportunities for market expansion and assess gaps.
- Support Planet’s go-to-market initiatives (product launches, solution development, partnerships) and drive execution of deliverables across Sales, Product, Marketing, Legal, and Operations teams.
- Lead customer betas and feedback workshops to gather market insights.
- Engage in technical partner and customer conversations to understand and deliver solutions for a broader market ecosystem
- Understand technical capabilities, trends, competitor and partner offerings
- Build out and maintain buyer and user personas and develop product value propositions that differentiate Planet offerings in the market.
- Work with Industry Marketing to identify and assess which partners can complement existing offerings & develop joint marketing plans.
- Collaborate with the product team to produce and update a portfolio of marketing and sales enablement tools (presentations, data sheets, use cases, demos, battlecards).
- Drive the development of demos, collateral, and best practices to enable Sales and Presales to highlight the value of Planet’s data and products to solve real strategic business initiatives across enterprise organizations.
- Partner closely with other parts of the marketing organization on global and regional programs, including demand generation, digital marketing, field marketing, creative, and communications.
What You Bring:
- Minimum 5+ years of related Product Marketing, Solutions Engineering, Consulting, Sales and Marketing experience with a track record of success in high growth companies.
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA preferred.
- Excellent storytelling skills with the ability to strategically “connect the dots” to articulate customer value in simple, yet compelling ways.
- Experience in enterprise software. Geospatial or Data and analytics experience a plus
- Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills (to both internal and external audiences).
- Excellent presentation skills across subject areas from marketing, research, analytics, management, and profitability.
- Proven track record positioning products and marketing B2B/enterprise products
- Superior problem solving skills to make things happen with an ability to conceptualize, prioritize, and manage multiple projects with ease.
- Ability to work independently and retain a high level of self-motivation; A high degree of professionalism with an ability to work effectively in a group setting
- Experience working with an international sales teams is an advantage
- Passion for Planet’s mission, to use space to help life on Earth
Benefits While Working at Planet
- Additional company winter holidays and regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment and flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Know Your Rights.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the hiring process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.