Fullstack Software Engineer
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Come and help us build usage tracking and reporting systems that will help elevate the value that Planet provides its users, as well as constantly improving the visibility & insights various teams in Planet have on usage.
In this role you will provide software, services, dashboards, and data pipelines, as well as mapping solutions. From customer service, to business intelligence to other software engineering teams, the system you will build and maintain will be the glue that helps bind the different aspects of Planet together, helping the business to push to the next level.
This is a relatively new team at Planet, so you’ll have a great opportunity to influence and shape the team’s future. For this role you must be willing to participate in the teams on-call schedule.
If you are passionate about space, geospatial data and machine learning, Planet is the right choice.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Build & Maintain usage related software & services, for tracking and reporting
- Design and develop dashboards using Google Cloud Platform BigQuery, DataStudio and other Planet systems to provide up-to-date information where it is needed
- Write well documented, tested, scalable and maintainable code for production services
What You Bring:
- A positive, can-do attitude to work
- True passion about what you do, and ability to infect others with that passion
- Adaptability and openness to changes and challenges
- An ability to communicate and challenge the ideas of your peers in a respectful, open manner
- Excellent development skills in Python and/ or Golang (Willingness to learn both is required)
- Front-end development knowledge, using modern frameworks such as React
- Experience with using tools and services of the Google Cloud Platform, including BigQuery, PubSub, Dataflow & similar
- Experience using Kubectl, Docker and docker-compose
- Good understanding of DevOps & CI/CD
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience in
- Data Pipelines
- Data visualization
- Proven experience with PostGIS
- Agile software development methods
- Microservice architectures
- Knowledge of
- Google Cloud Platform
- Geospatial data and algorithm domains
- Web development standards like MVC, MVT
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays and regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment and flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Something looks off?