Security Operations Engineer
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
As a security operations engineer you will play a role in all aspects of corporate security, SOC operations, incident handling, user education, and work with the application development teams during design and implementation of the system. You will help manage select critical security systems managed by the Corporate Engineering team. In the role you may also help with other corporate security related work as needs (or interest) arise. This is a hybrid role needing a range of technical and interpersonal skills.
The candidate will need a solid technical software background. This position requires working with different stakeholders, occasional code reviews, and working with developers in addressing security vulnerabilities. The candidate will have knowledge of cryptographic concepts, and be comfortable researching specific topics as needed for the task at hand. Familiarity with networking and Cloud computing systems like GCP or AWS is preferred.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Run, maintain, monitor, and enhance SIEM, network, server and applications monitoring
- Responding to security incidents and Planet’s bug bounty program
- Automate workflows and develop solutions to increase the efficiency of the team
- Product security reviews
- Drive processes and systems to support the success of Planet's products Core Area of Impact 1
What You Bring:
- Bachelor or a Master of Science degree in an Engineering discipline with a focus on Information Security
- Candidates must have a computer science, software engineering, or equivalent technical background, and security concepts including cryptography
- Experience developing security requirements at a cross-system level
- Experience leading or participating in projects
- Experience with SOC operations
- Familiarity with network and application penetration testing
What Makes You Stand Out:
- At least 4-5 years of professional experience in a security focused role
- Solid interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Experience with ELK stack
- Solid development experience in Python, Go, Ruby, or equivalent in a similar language, and interested to learn other languages as needed
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays and regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment and flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Something looks off?