Director, State Pricing (Remote, US)
Openly is rebuilding insurance from the ground up. We are re-envisioning and enhancing every aspect of the customer experience. Doing this requires a rapidly growing team of exceptional, curious, empathetic people with a wide range of skill sets, spanning technology, data science, product, marketing, sales, service, claims handling, finance, etc.
Now is the perfect time to join the journey. Here’s why
- It’s working. We’re in multiple states and on our way to operating countrywide. We have thousands of agents selling our product and millions of dollars of annual customer premiums.
- We’re well-backed & stable. We closed our $75M Series C fundraise. We are supported by some of the top investors globally, including Google’s “Gradient” AI-focused fund, Obvious Ventures (Beyond Meat, etc.), and Advance Venture Partners.
- It’s not too late! Despite this traction and stability, we’re still early enough in the journey that there’s time to make a real difference during Openly’s formative period.
The Director, Actuarial and State Pricing is an analytic leadership role that is responsible for the implementation of a variety of actuarial/statistical techniques and analyses which may include reserving, rate making, pricing, planning/forecasting, CAT management, project management and research. This role is expected to execute strategic and operational initiatives, lead and drive work within the State Pricing organization, provide analytical insights and recommendations to leadership and business partners, and share ownership of the business's financial results. The Director of State Pricing will work within broad limits and authority on complex assignments requiring specialized knowledge and expertise in breadth and/or depth in the areas of rate making, indication development, pricing model and statistical analysis.
- Lead the State Pricing team and provide advanced actuarial support for Openly’s insurance products
- Provide leadership, vision, and direction to drive pricing decisions including the advancement and execution of pricing tools and trend analyses
- Work closely and cross-functionally with the insurance product management team which has responsibility for implementation and management of insurance products
- Development of pricing related to new products and coverages, including new products with limited or no historical experience, performance monitoring, and trend analysis
- Work with the Leadership Team and the Finance Team, to play a key role in the production of the financial and operational plan
- Propose and introduce changes or improvements that promote profitability and growth and take an active role in the implementation of these changes including justification to state regulators and reinsurers
- Communicate results analysis, and recommendations in a manner that is understandable and allows management to make operational changes where necessary with efficacy
- Provide strategic and operational planning advice including monthly and quarterly reporting and assessment of profit and financial performance
- Develop filings for regulators
- Develop materials / reports for insurance and reinsurers and regulators
- Bachelor’s Degree
- FCAS required
- 10-12 years insurance P&C experience with increasing responsibility and leadership
- At least 6 years’ experience in personal lines, homeowners experience preferred
- 5+ years of people management experience preferred
- Significant experience with modeling techniques, rate making/rate development of new and existing insurance programs
- Experience working with external insurance product stakeholders, including regulators, reinsurers,
- Proactive individual who challenges existing processes, can influence others and drive a process to conclusions while meeting critical deadlines
- Independent thinker as well as challenger/advocate ensuring soundness of pricing and underwriting
- Track record of strong decision-making skills and successfully delivering results in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent people and project management skills, with the ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with people at all levels of the company
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects, prioritizing high impact ones
- Ability to make decisions quickly and decisively, thinking and acting strategically, planning for the long-term while balancing short-term needs of the organization
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills with superior attention to detail
- A passion for leadership, coaching, and developing talent
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary, corporate bonus program, equity position in a start-up company
- Company-sponsored medical, dental, vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, 401k with corporate contribution, and FSA plan
- Company-paid 12 weeks parental leave policy
- The company fully embraces the “work-from-anywhere in the US” mentality, even before COVID restrictions.
- Paid Time Off
- Fun, fast-paced, startup environment
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer and currently residing in the US will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities under applicable law.