Director of Product, Membership
Remote · United States
Posted on Friday, February 2, 2024
Everyone has a story to tell. Medium is the place for stories to take shape and take flight. We believe that what you read and write matters, and we’re building a place that rewards depth, nuance, and time well spent over clicks and sensationalism. Over 100 million people connect and share their wisdom on Medium every month — and we’re growing! Our mission is to deepen our collective understanding of the world through the power of writing.
The Medium Membership is the core of our business. Users pay to access the great bundle of user-written stories on our platform. Being a subscription business, the quality and user-satisfaction of this product is critical to the success of our business. Building a Membership experience is and will continue to be core piece of our product strategy. We are seeking an experienced Director of Product who will assume a crucial leadership position in overseeing our Membership product.
What you will do:
- Develop and drive the product strategy and roadmap for Medium Membership, aligning it with the overall company vision and goals.
- Lead a product development team of product managers, designers, and engineers, fostering a collaborative and high-performing culture.
- Manage a small team of product managers, providing guidance, support, and mentorship in their performance and career progression.
- Conduct market research and user analysis to identify user needs and opportunities for product innovation.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including engineering, data science, design, marketing, and content, to deliver high-quality products and experiences.
- Monitor product performance and user feedback, iterate on features, and drive continuous improvement.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends and best practices in product management and membership-based platforms.
Who are you?
- At least 2 years experience as a Director of Product or similar leadership role, preferably in a membership-based platform or subscription service.
- At least 8 years of experience working in Product Management with hands on experience with consumer products.
- Deep understanding of platforms that include user-generated content and social interactions.
- Strong track record of successfully leading and delivering complex product initiatives.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate cross-functional teams.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, with a data-driven approach to decision-making. A big bonus would be if you have experience with SQL and able to write your own queries to pull the data you need.
- Passion for creating exceptional user experiences and driving customer satisfaction.
In addition to the new skills you'll pick up, here's what else you'll enjoy by working at Medium:
- Working with a fully distributed team: We’re totally remote and have teammates across the U.S. & France
- Generous benefits that support your wellness and professional development
- 100% covered Medical benefits for employees and 70% for dependents
- Parental Leave & additional Family Support (Cleo)
- Covered sessions for Therapy and Professional Coaching (Spring Health)
- Stipends for Wellness, Learning and your home office/wifi
- Unlimited PTO, Winter Company Breaks, and standard company holidays
This is a fully remote position and you can be based anywhere within the U.S. EST working hours are preferred as that where a lot of the team is located.
****The compensation range for this position is between $235k-$315k per year base salary + equity and benefits, and is dependent on years and depth of experience.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note that any serious recruiting emails will come from an @medium.com domain; anything else is not legitimate.