Mass Properties Engineer
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your Role and Your Team:
We are looking for an outstanding Mass Properties Lead Engineer to track and manage weight, balance and mass properties through the lifecycle of this unique aircraft. We want you to drive weight saving campaigns, supporting the Chief Engineering Office by maintaining the list of risks and opportunities. The ideal candidate would be able to take the initiative to develop tools and methods which automate weight reporting, with the goal of improving efficiency and minimizing human error.
You will report to the Loads, Aeroelastics and Mass Properties Team Leader through the function, working as part of the larger Flight and Applied Sciences department. Your day-to-day will see you working across departments, such as Design and Aerostructures and Chief Engineering.
Our Flight and Applied Science team works alongside highly qualified engineers using low and high-fidelity calculation, optimization methods and physical testing to ensure our aircraft and systems achieves our performance targets. We use state-of-the-art systems to deliver rapid results and encourage innovative thinking to achieve the best solutions.
Your Day to Day:
· Track, manage and control weight and balance characteristics of the aircraft such that the design meets aircraft requirements.
· As part of the team, you would be responsible for aggregating weight and balance reports and presenting the status to Chief Engineering or Program Management.
· Develop weight saving strategies and maintain the list of the risk and opportunities for the aircraft.
· Drive the development of tools and methods to improve efficiency of mass tracking and reporting.
· Create and maintain a comprehensive database of parts mass properties.
· Define and manage the mass budget for the aircraft and its breakdown to system level.
· Interrogate CAD/FEM models to determine estimates for mass properties with associated uncertainties.
· Perform mass distribution, weight and balance and moment of inertia calculations.
· Perform conceptual parametric estimations for mass distributions and moments of inertia.
· Prepare procedures for components and aircraft physical weighing, assisting with ground testing when necessary.
· M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering or similar discipline required.
· 5+ years of professional experience in a similar position.
· Experience in aircraft certification process would be highly beneficial.
· The ideal candidate would have a track record of developing tools and methods to improve efficiency.
· Excellent skills in state-of-the-art mass properties derivation.
· Outstanding data management skills for a scalable mass properties database.
· Experience with CAE and Mass Management software packages required.
· Strong motivation to help build working frameworks and processes.
· High level of self-reliance with the ability to work in a team, as well as autonomous.
· Target-oriented, driven work style with analytic problem-solving skills required.
· Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language would be beneficial.
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.