Material & Process Engineer - Adhesive Bonding
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your role and your team:
We are seeking a Senior Materials and Processes Engineer with experience in developing aerospace products for use in extreme environments, including high temperature and fire resistance applications. As part of the M&P team, you will work closely with various Integrated Project Teams to support all aspects of design, manufacturing, and quality assurance. Additional responsibilities will include hands-on concept development, authoring material and process specifications, and characterizing degradation modes to establish the key safety and performance requirements for aerospace applications.
Your Day to Day:
- Support the design teams for the development of next generation of adhesively bonded aerospace products, including composite and metallic materials.
- Provide expert guidance in the development and certification for a wide variety of high-performance and safety critical applications.
- Drive qualification efforts by writing test plans, reports, and specifications and establishing statistically based material properties for aerospace certification, especially related to adapting standard materials for use in harsh environments.
- Research new technology proposals and provide recommendations for rapid concept evaluation.
- Support various program needs, which include design failure mode and effect analysis, substantiation of non-conformance dispositions, root cause and corrective action analyses.
- Define technical roadmaps to achieve program objectives, including development of initial concepts, prototyping, verification, and validation efforts.
- Document best practices and share lessons learned in a rapidly evolving environment, through authoring technical memos and presentations.
- S. in engineering or science (i.e., chemistry, chemical engineering, material science and engineering, or similar) (Ph.D./ M. Sc. preferred).
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in an aerospace certification environment.
- A strong background in manufacturing processes is required, including experience with establishing statistically based material properties, evaluating key performance parameters, and broad knowledge of test methods for chemical and mechanical characterization.
- Desired non-metallic material experience includes selection and processing of epoxy, cyanate esters, polyimides, BMI, phenolic, polyfurfuryl alcohol (PFA), and/or phthalonitrile (PN) resin systems, and high temperature lightweight protection for thermal management, emissivity, and oxidation resistance.
- Desired metallic material experience includes high-temperature alloys, extreme environment protection (thermal/fire barrier), and/or metallic matrix composites.
- Strong understanding of material and process qualification is required, with hands-on experience in the design and development of advanced aerospace parts being beneficial.
- Self-reliance with the ability to work in a team, as well as individually.
- Highly energetic personality is desirable, with a goal-oriented working style and demonstrated analytical problem-solving skills.
- Strong verbal communication and writing skills are essential.
- Fluent English language skills are essential, Fluent German or any other language would be beneficial.
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.