Handling Qualities Engineer
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your Role and Your Team:
The role of a Handling Qualities Engineer lies at the intersection point between pilot and machine, where systems integration and flight physics meets controllability and ease-of-flying. Good handling qualities are pivotal to making the Lilium Jet fly, and fly well. We are looking for an outstanding Handling Qualities Engineer to support development, testing and certification of the Lilium Jet.
You will report to the Flight Control Manager, working as part of an integrated team within the larger Flight and Applied Sciences department. Your day-to-day tasking will be set by the Lead Handling Qualities Engineer, and you will be interacting across teams in Chief Engineering to ensure a compatible and consistent design and test process.
The Flight and Applied Science team uses a mixture of low and high-fidelity calculation, together with optimization methods and physical testing to ensure our aircraft and systems achieve our performance targets. We use state-of-the-art systems to deliver rapid results and encourage innovative thinking to achieve the best solutions, on-time.
Your Day to Day:
- Defining handling qualities requirements to be used for aircraft sizing and flight control laws design, for example supporting on:
- Flight and wind envelope definitions
- Controllability and maneuverability requirements
- Derivation and validation of handling qualities requirements for L2 design
- Investigating open-loop and closed-loop aircraft response, with particular focus on handling qualities.
- Defining handling qualities verification criteria (Mission Task Elements) and preparing Simulator and Flight Test Requests, in liaison with our Flight Test team.
- Developing means of compliance to support Subpart B certification.
- Collating evidence for handling qualities certification and presenting it to the Authorities.
- Performing trade-off studies to support Chief Engineering and Business Department.
- Actively shaping and improving the tools and methods of the Handling Qualities team.
- MEng or M. Sc. in Aeronautical Engineering or similar.
- 4+ years professional experience in Flight Dynamics and Handling Qualities.
- Proven experience in subpart B certification (EASA CS 23, 27, CS 29) is extremely desirable.
- Experience in Flight Testing would also be beneficial.
- Good knowledge of Control Theory.
- Proficient in Matlab/Simulink.
- High level of self-reliance and an autonomous target-oriented work style is a must.
- Strong motivation to help build and shape department tools and methods.
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language would be beneficial.
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.