Principal Engineer - Energy Storage System
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your role and your team:
We are looking for an outstanding Principal Energy Storage System Engineer to join our IPT Energy team that will drive the future of urban e-mobility.
You will report directly to the Engineering Manager of the aircraft battery team. The aircraft battery team is responsible for designing and developing the Energy Storage System (ESS) components across the entire life cycle. The Energy Storage System encompasses the mechanical enclosure, the cells, the battery management system as well as the cooling system.
As a principal Energy Storage System Engineer you will be part of an interdisciplinary IPT (Integrated Project Team) responsible for the development of the Battery System of our Lilium Jet - from concept through detailed design, testing until serial production. You will take ownership of selected systems of the mechanical design of the battery.
Your Day to Day:
- managing the development and implementation of our eVTOL's Energy Storage System, defining requirements and architecture, overseeing the engineering design team and ensuring that the end result is an integrated, safe and certifiable system in the aircraft-level context,
- drive selected transversal topics to arrive at an integrated EPS solution,
- driving, approving and releasing Energy-Storage-System-level design documentation, incl. change notices,
- specifying and supporting system level validation and verification according to acceptable means of compliance, link with systems testing,
- Check and approval of technical 2D drawings for manufacturing release
- Sc./Eng. or PhD in Mechanical, Electrical or Aeronautical Engineering or a related field required
- Broad base in the relevant engineering discipline and natural sciences required
- 8 years of professional experience in system engineering, either on electric vehicles or in the aviation industry
- Skilled in systems engineering in accordance with ARP4754A, preferably also awareness of DO160 and DO178 and DO254 and DO311
- Experience with battery systems or electrical propulsion system is a must, experience with power electronics would be advantageous
- Experience in Design tools (Siemens NX or equivalent) & capture tools, such as Siemens Polarion or IBM Rational Doors would be advantageous
- Strong motivation to help build structures and processes
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to technically lead and coordinate multi-disciplinary teams of engineers
- Target-oriented, driven workstyle with analytic problem-solving skills are required
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language would be beneficial
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.