Systems Engineer - Electromagnetic Environmental Effects (E3)
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Systems Engineer – Electromagnetic Environmental Effects (E3)
Your role and your team:
As an Electromagnetic Environmental Effects (E3) Systems Engineer within the Powertrain & Advanced Systems department, you will have ownership over the E3 design, analysis, testing and certification of aircraft systems. There are several Integrated Project Teams at Lilium, each with a need for E3 support. As a Systems Engineer you will be deployed to our Chief Engineering Department as a subject matter expert specializing in E3 to work on Aircraft level tasks and integration. Your placement and fit within these teams will be considered throughout the interviewing process after factoring technical fit, expertise and your personal preference. You will join an interdisciplinary integrated project team from a diverse range of skillsets, backgrounds and levels of experience responsible for the complete development of our innovative fully electric aircraft, through design, verification and certification up to the delivery phase.
- Participate in the Electromagnetic Environmental Effects protection design, including HIRF, Lightning, EMC, P-static to meet our aircraft requirements
- Ensure that all aircraft systems have relevant design and protection features for E3
- Collaborate with integrated project teams for E3 requirements flow down
- Guide and mentor development teams on protection implementation
- Participate in design reviews for EMC
- Plan, design test procedures and execute E3 system/function/aircraft tests to verify E3 requirements in accordance with aerospace standards, for example DO-160G, ARP5583, ARP5415.
- Develop procedures, processes and documentation for E3 engineering at Lilium
- Ensure that the relevant documents are created in support for the E3 certification of the aircraft.
- Participate in certification meetings with regulatory authorities
- Supervise EM simulation workpackages.
Role and Interview process:
The role is based in Munich, Germany and Lilium supports relocation and visa sponsorship.
The interview process starts with us reviewing your application, then if there is a fit, we will contact you for a first interview to understand a little more about you. Next will be a technical conversation with the hiring manager to assess value for both parties. Next, we will ask you to complete a case study to understand your technical approach and prowess. Finally, you will be invited onsite for a tour of Lilium and our facilities, as well as a final round of interviews for culture and for you to present your case study.
- Degree in a relevant engineering discipline such as Electrical Engineering, Physics or a related field
- Minimum 3 years of aerospace experience or a minimum 5 years of EMC/E3 related experience
- Experience in EMC/E3 design or hands-on EMC testing
- Knowledge of aircraft design, and CS23/25/27/29.
- Knowledge of aircraft systems, propulsion and energy storage.
- Knowledge of systems engineering development according to ARP4754A and ARP4761
- Knowledge of Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) standards such as MIL-STD-461, DO-160G or IEC 61000 series
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to work collaboratively, as well as autonomously.
- Target-oriented, inclusive work style with analytical problem-solving skills.
- Fluent English language skills.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Master’s degree in a relevant engineering discipline such as Electrical Engineering, Physics or a related field
- 3+ years working within Part 21J design organisation environment
- 3+ years of professional experience rapidly designing and delivering highly reliable products
- 7+ years of aerospace and E3 experience
- Strong knowledge of ARP/ED/DO standards on HIRF/Lightning/EMC, such as DO-160G, ED-248, ARP5583A, ARP5415B, ARP5672, DO-307A.
- Experience with certification of aircraft systems, especially coordinating with regulatory authorities and producing certification plans, compliance documents, V&V and test plans
- Experience in HIRF/Lightning/P-static/EMC aircraft tests
- Experience in HIRF and indirect lightning system tests
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly cross-functional role
- Fluent German or any other language is beneficial
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.