Manufacturing Engineer - Battery Pack Components
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your role and your team:
As the supply Chain, our mission is to complete secure NPI programmes with our suppliers, to enable the smooth introduction and ramp up of our demand into our internal build lines, where the Lilium Jet will go through its final assembly steps.
You will be part of a team that is instrumental in driving the industrialisation of our external battery cell suppliers. You will lead battery cell production process development and deeply engage with Lilium suppliers on their manufacturing facilities. You will work with the suppliers to initially improve and optimize semi-automated prototype production facilities and later do the same for highly automated, high volume serial production lines.
Your Day to Day:
- Working as the manufacturing engineer, you will regularly visit our battery pack component suppliers to steer and control the current production of components for the battery pack
- You will identify bottlenecks and work with the supply chain manager to understand, report and optimize overall production capacity
- You will find solutions to stabilize and improve existing production processes, with the goal of improving quality and reducing cycle times.
- You will work with the supplier to decide on technical solutions to gradually automatize the production and help ramp up high volume automated production lines.
- You will understand the inhouse assembly process of the battery pack and translate those needs into manufacturing requirements with the suppliers
- You will ensure support with technical trade-off between Lilium In-house Manufacturing Engineers, logistics and supplier to ensure the best condition of supply to Lilium.
- You will work with our design engineers to be the voice of manufacturing and drive design for manufacturing / design for automation during prototype, development and first article inspection.
- You will own manufacturing engineering APQP deliverables for NPI and secure completion
- You will support during the disposition of non-conforming parts and during the identification of the root cause from a manufacturing point of view.
- You will have 5+ years of experience in a manufacturing engineering role
- You have demonstrated expertise in process development and process improvement
- You have experience in welding, brazing and machining processes
- You understand and can apply the concepts of lean production
- You have an understanding and first-hand experience with production automation
- You understand technical drawings and how individual tolerances add up to a tolerance stack
- Excellent communications maturity. Ability to build trust and consensus and secure commitment from all team members.
- You have a willingness to take risks in decision making.
- You have the ability to self-manage and prioritise tasks.
- You have a can-do mindset, an ability to understand and analyse a problem and come up with solutions.
- You have willingness to regularly travel across Europe as well as worldwide for supplier visits.
- You speak fluent English
- You have a Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar
- You have experience in casting and moulding processes
- You understand how you can use robots, end effectors and sensors to automatize various production processes like joining, welding, gluing etc.
- You can differentiate and evaluate different automation solutions by using your understanding of achievable process stability, process speeds and tolerances
- You have experience in using the PPAP/APQP processes
- You have experience in Manufacturing Readiness Level or Technology Readiness Level development
- You have knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) and inspection capabilities and requirements relevant to Electronics.
- You will have experience in influencing design through Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design for Assembly (DFA), Design for Cost (DFC)and RCCA activities.
- You have a technical understanding of Engineering Drawings & Requirements
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.