Senior Test Engineer - Propulsion/Wind Tunnel
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Senior Test Engineer – Propulsion/Wind Tunnel
Your role and your team:
The Laboratory Testing department is responsible for component, system, and aircraft level tests. Our teams develop rigs and run tests that facilitate research, development, and certification in the technology areas of propulsion, batteries, structures, and electronics.
In this role, you will work in the Propulsion Testing team, which is responsible for preparing and conducting tests on the propulsion system as well as wind tunnel tests. We collaborate closely with the design team to ensure the most effective testing approach for our product.
As a Senior Test Engineer, you will have end-to-end responsibility of a test from its initial request until delivery of the test data, always keeping the goal of qualification and certification of our aircraft in mind. As recognized expert in your field, you will support and advise our design office with the definition and evaluation of test campaigns, as well as guide your team members on their test projects. You will support the test management and use your experience to provide guidance to colleagues to establish and comply to processes, methods, and best practices for propulsion testing and propulsion system certification (SC-VTOL, SC-EHPS). For test campaigns at external laboratories, such as wind tunnel facilities, you will act as the technical focal point and coordinator as well as support the execution of the test at the supplier site.
For complex test setups which require new facilities, you will take care of the coordination of design and manufacturing suppliers. Moreover, you will guide and implement the development and maintenance of our internal test facility when needed. This includes the preparation of test capabilities based on low-maturity requirements using your testing experience.
Your day to day:
- For each test, you will be responsible of the following activities (whenever applicable):
- Focus on wind tunnel testing but not only, also support to other propulsion test campaigns as required
- Assessment of the test request and refinement together with the design team
- Preparation of a test concept
- Selection and technical discussions with the external facility / wind tunnel
- Detailed design of the test setup
- Built of the test setup, incl. coordination of manufacturing and purchasing
- Commissioning strategy plan and commissioning execution of the test setup and test article integration
- Planning of the test execution, incl. test procedure and risk assessments
- Hands-on execution of the test
- Post-processing of the data and results reporting
- Develop complex test rigs and setups and coordinate our support teams (software, mechanical & electrical CAD, technicians & electricians). This will involve managing key suppliers.
- Evaluate test concepts with idealization of physical effects and first-principle reasoning.
- Create and review engineering documentation for our test setups and results.
- Advise the design team on the detailed definition of test requirements and plans for certification. This will involve interfacing with cross-functional teams from Propulsion, Flight Mechanics, Avionics, Electrical Systems and Chief Engineering.
- Feedback your findings and opinion to the design team for product improvement.
- Support resource & workload planning and coordination with interfacing teams.
- Be a role model for a safe work environment in the lab and wind tunnel.
- Constantly learn new things about our test articles and the way we test them – and share them with your team members.
- Work on any ad-hoc projects or tasks.
- University degree in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field (M.Sc/M.Eng preferred)
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant professional experience in development programs is required, wind tunnel testing experience is highly beneficial.
- Good knowledge and experience in testing multi-kW electrical machines and drives is required.
- Good knowledge and experience in measurement methods and instrumentation is required.
- Good knowledge and experience in processes, methods, and best practices of (engine and/or wind tunnel) testing within the aerospace industry is beneficial.
- Good knowledge and experience in aerospace certification programs and regulations (e.g. CS-E) is beneficial.
- Good knowledge and experience of aircraft level system integration is beneficial.
- Good knowledge of a CAD system (Siemens NX preferred) is beneficial.
- Driven individual with the ability to probe & challenge assumptions
- Ability to work with incomplete requirements and to anticipate customer needs
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to work in a diverse team
- Target-oriented work style with analytic problem-solving skills
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Ability and willingness to travel to external facilities to support test execution (≈10-15% of the time)
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language is beneficial.
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.