Aerospace Software Engineer (Middle/Senior/Principal)
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Role and Interview process:
The role is based in Munich, and Lilium supports relocation and visa sponsorship.
This role is a universal pool for multiple key jobs Lilium has in the Software Intensive Systems department.
After the first technical interview, we will align with you on the role's seniority and the system that you might be a good fit for. You will be able to choose from the following systems:
- Flight Control
- Battery Management System
- Actuation and Motor Control
- Software Platforms
Within 1 week from application, we will review your CV with a hiring team. In case of success, you will be invited for an interview or a technical case study.
About Your Future Team:
- The history of the team goes back to summer 2017 when the first several engineers joined Lilium. These enthusiastic and world-class experts had a strong vision about changing the aerospace and software development process. After 6 years, the majority of the first visionaries still stand with Lilium, demonstrating exceptional performance and progress. As a part of the hiring process, you will meet these people, so feel free to ask them about their personal journey.
- Our Software team has more than 20 nationalities among its 50+ members. The average aerospace experience is 10+ years. Every year, at least 10% of the team members either get a promotion or have the ability to perform horizontal moves to obtain new skills and expertise.
- We praise collaboration. The time in aerospace when there was a strong separation between "System" and "Software" is gone. Systems of modern aircraft have become more complex and advanced. We manage complexity by pushing Model-Based Design to new levels and letting Systems and Software Engineers work on the same models in a collaborative environment.
Your Tasks and Day-to-Day:
- Develop and implement cutting-edge embedded systems solutions for our eVTOL aircraft, including requirements, architecture, and application-level software using model-based design with MATLAB Simulink.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define system and software requirements and ensure software is integrated with hardware components.
- Optimize software performance for speed, memory usage, and power consumption, while adhering to strict safety and cybersecurity standards.
- Troubleshoot and debug software issues in both hardware/software and system domains, with a focus on safety-critical systems.
- Meet with certification authorities, support audits, and support the cybersecurity team.
- Improve mixed reality simulators and real-time test rigs, as well as flight test data analysis.
- Work on process and methods improvements and tools qualification.
- Coordinate outsourcing packages and meet suppliers.
- Stay up to date with the latest developments in embedded software technology by participating in internal and external training programs.
- Enjoy many after-work activities that Munich has to offer.
- 5+ years of experience developing safety-critical embedded software in C.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Embedded Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related field.
- Proficiency with model-based design using MATLAB Simulink in the aerospace domain.
- Knowledge of safety-critical software development practices, such as DO-178C and DO-331.
- Expertise in Systems engineering according to ARP4754A or cybersecurity according to DO-326 is a strong plus.
- Familiarity with microcontroller architectures, communication protocols, modern verification, and continuous integration concepts.
- Understanding of systems/hardware/software co-design principles and experience working closely with safety, security, and quality teams within the aerospace environment.
- Demonstrated experience and success in managing complex technical projects in the above-mentioned areas.
- Excellent English communication skills, both verbal and written.
If you have a passion for aerospace and eVTOL and want to work on challenging and rewarding projects and are ready to relocate to Munich, please apply today!
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.