Design Engineer - Alternating Current Drives
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Design Engineer – AC Drives
Your role and your team:
We are looking for a Design Engineer with experience in high speed AC Drive integration to join our innovative team that will shape the future of urban e-mobility.
This position will report into our Engineering Manager for Electric Propulsion and will contribute, as part of an integrated cross-functional team, to the propulsion systems architecture, design, certification, and delivery of the Lilium Jet.
You will have a chance to shape the future of mobility by not only defining the key elements of the propulsion systems but also developing components, coordinating with regulatory partners and leading suppliers.
You will take responsibility for the integration, testing and fine tuning of Lilium Jet´s propulsion and actuation system AC drives (electric motor, motor control algorithm, inverter hardware, inverter software, sensors) and power systems while ensuring their compliance to relevant safety standards.
Your Day to Day:
- Design, integration, lab testing and tuning of AC Drives.
- Close cooperation with electrical machine design engineers for motor parameters and performance.
- Close cooperation with control engineers for the motor control algorithm and AC drive simulation.
- Close cooperation with power electronics engineers for the inverter hardware development.
- Close cooperation with software engineers for the implementation of control algorithm in the embedded software.
- Close cooperation with mechanical engineers for characterization of mechanical load of AC drive and its integration.
- Close cooperation with test engineers for AC Drive testing and performance validation.
- Work on system engineering with regard to engine and actuation system requirements, high voltage network architecture, sensors and integration.
- Engineering management of suppliers for externally procured equipment.
- Coordinating lab technicians for general lab management, designing test rigs, generating connection diagrams, safety procedures, test procedures. Performing lab test and collecting data to assess AC drive performance. Adjusting motor control parameters/algorithm to optimize AC drive performance.
- Liaising with component/equipment suppliers to select the best hardware suited for AC drive, servo controllers, sensors or test rig.
- Specification of system, subsystem, and component, interface requirements as per ARP4754
- Specification and support of system validation and verification according to acceptable means of compliance like DO-160
- Support of development of series production processes and process standardization across departments
- Work on ad hoc related tasks or projects provided by technical management as necessary, like preparing analysis reports, writing requirements, supporting test engineers, producing wiring diagrams etc.
- M.Sc./Eng. or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Power Electronics Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering or a related field required
- Experience in High Voltage DC networks, EMC, Grounding and Bonding beneficial
- Min. 5 years of professional experience in AC Drive design and development, including one or more fields of AC motor control methods (FOC, DTC, etc), inverter design, servo controls.
- Hands-on experience with testing, troubleshooting and commissioning of AC drives, embedded software, sensors is required
- Experience in Matlab/Simulink, C programming, Python beneficial.
- Knowledge of semiconductor technology would be advantageous.
- Experience in requirement management tools, such as Siemens Polarion or IBM Rational Doors would be advantageous
- Strong motivation to help build structures and processes
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to work in a team, as well as autonomously
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects and issues
- Target-oriented, driven workstyle with analytic problem-solving skills are required
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language would be beneficial
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, free e-library, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Something looks off?