Senior Aerodynamics Engineer
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your Role and Your Team:
We are looking for a Senior Aerodynamics Engineer with a strong background in turbomachinery, propulsion systems and propulsion integration to join our innovative team that shapes the future of e-mobility.
In this position, you will have the exciting opportunity to work within the Aerodynamics Team as part of the Flight and Applied Sciences Function. You will be part of the multi-disciplinary Propulsion IPT (Integrated Project Team), working closely alongside neighbouring disciplines such as Acoustics, Stress, Icing and Aeroelasticity, different systems as well as with the Chief Engineering group, to define, design and verify the components up to the complete propulsion system.
From design to certification, you will play a key role in bringing our innovative aircraft to life.
Your Day to Day
· Solving design challenges aligned with the functional requirements of the system, with a good understanding of the risk burndown (either arising directly from the remaining blind spots or inherent weaknesses in the analysis technique). Using engineering judgement and experience to progress the program to find the best compromise between transversal disciplines and system requirements.
· Aerodynamic analyses of uninstalled and installed turbomachinery & propulsion system through both low and high-fidelity computational methods (CFD) and experimental methods, grasping the complementary flaws in either method.
· Improve the collective understanding of Aerodynamic integration effects (such as failure cases) on aircraft-level for this novel configuration and by doing so, appreciating the consequent effects on aircraft performance, controllability and stability.
· Assist in defining and executing the appropriate V&V and certification steps considering the design, the risk management and derived risk mitigation, from component level (e.g. compressor rig) up to propulsion unit and aircraft-level testing, working together with external partners if needed.
· Further develop and validate our suite of low and high-fidelity computational models based upon acquired experimental data.
· Work closely with relevant disciplines and systems to ensure timely delivery within allocated budgets of an integrated propulsion system, compliant with requirements.
· Assist in developing performance modelling techniques for the propulsion system.
· Develop processes, methods and guidelines which simultaneously minimize human error and improve team efficiency, aligned with the Flight Sciences framework and hence compliant to EASA Part 21J.
· M.Sc. or PhD in Aerospace Engineering with a focus on Propulsion Aerodynamics. The ideal candidate also has experience in (compressor) aeroelastics and aeroacoustics related to propulsion systems and propulsion integration.
· 5+ years of professional experience in a similar position.
· Proven track record in leading the aerodynamics assessment and design of aircraft propulsion systems (rotor, stator, nacelle), the alignment with the different systems and interfaces as well as the propulsion integration to the airframe.
· Demonstrated experience with requirements validation and verification. The ideal candidate also has experience in compliance demonstration related to the EHPS.
· Excellent knowledge of analytical, computational and experimental methods to assess the aerodynamic performance and drive the design of aircraft engines.
· Demonstrated hands-on experience with state-of-the-art CFD tools (preferably STAR-CCM+), optimization techniques and scripting languages (Python).
· Sound understanding of related disciplines such as aeroacoustics, blade flutter and forced response, heat transfer, performance, mechanical design and secondary considerations such as engine control, flight mechanics and the industrialization of the propulsion system.
· Strong motivation to help build structures and processes.
· Open minded and unbiased to find the right solution for new technical challenges.
· Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language would be beneficial.
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, free e-library, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Something looks off?