Design Engineer - Battery Thermal Runaway & Venting
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your role and your team:
You will report directly to the Head of Battery & Thermal Systems Team. The Battery & Thermal Systems Team is responsible for designing and developing the battery components and the thermal management system of our aircraft across the entire life cycle - from concept through detailed design, testing and serial production.
From parts to systems development, you will play a key role in bringing our innovative aircraft to life.
As Mechanical Engineer you will be part of an interdisciplinary IPT (Integrated Project Team) responsible for the development of the Battery System of our Lilium Jet from prototype until serial production. You will take ownership of selected systems for the mechanical design of the battery.
Your Day to Day:
- Support the development of the thermal runaway containment and the venting system of the battery throughout their lifecycle
- Sizing and design of weight optimized components for the thermal runaway containment and the venting system with attention towards high volume production
- Assist in the development of manufacturing, integration, and test processes and procedures
- Support the system development from concept to production, resolving any design, manufacturing and assembly issues along the way
- Define and manage requirements
- Support with supplier management and coordination
- Create certification related documentation
- Check and approval of technical 2D drawings for manufacturing release
- Constantly learn new things – and share them with your team members
- Work on any ad hoc related projects or tasks
- University degree in Aerospace Engineering or Mechanical/Vehicle Engineering (aerospace specialization, MSc/M.Eng preferred)
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the aerospace or automotive industry is required
- Experience with supplier selection, evaluation and management is beneficial
- Detailed in depth knowledge of HV battery systems and their design principles is preferred
- Good knowledge of thermal, mechanical, and electrical engineering principles is required
- Good knowledge of a CAD system is required (Siemens NX is preferred)
- Good knowledge of ISO GPS (alternatively ASME GD&T) and overall good drafting skills are required
- Basic knowledge with PDM/PLM systems (Teamcenter or equivalent) is beneficial
- Experience developing and working to system requirements is beneficial
- Excellent understanding of general design principles and technical correlations is required
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to work in a team, as well as autonomously is required
- Target-oriented, driven work style with analytic problem-solving skills is required
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment is required
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language is beneficial
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, free e-library, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Something looks off?