Software Engineer, Developer Experience
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 300,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Developer Tools at Gusto is part of the Developer Experience team, a highly impactful engineering team that empowers the 200+ engineers at Gusto. Gusto product engineers move tens of billions of our customers’ dollars every year, and the Developer Experience team helps them work efficiently, securely, and enjoyably.
This role is a Software Engineering role in our Developer Experience engineering group. The ideal candidate will be able to understand the needs of Gusto Product Engineers, and build the tools and services owned by the Developer Experience engineering team. The Developer Experience team is engaged at all phases of the Software Development Lifecycle, we build tools to increase efficiency during feature development, ensure our continuous integration and continuous deployment process is efficient and delivers fast feedback, and provide observability tools to help engineers understand the behavior of our software in production.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Build and improve our Development Environment Tooling to remove friction in workflows and processes used by Gusto Engineers during the development phase of the Software Development Lifecycle.
- Ensure our tooling and services work seamlessly, have minimal downtime, and recover quickly.
- Collaborate with the rest of the engineering team on the best practices for maintaining their development environment for all Gusto services.
- Impact the productivity and happiness of our entire team with the tools you build. You'll be the daily recipient of hugs and high-fives from our engineering and support teams.
- Pager-duty rotation: Never fear! Most issues occur during work hours.
- Champion developer tooling best practices across the organization. Educate and mentor team members while empowering them to leverage tools effectively.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- Have 5+ years of experience in software development using Ruby, NodeJS, Golang, or similar
- Have developed best practices and tooling to uncover and remediate sources of friction in development environments.
- Enjoy working with and deploying technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Ruby, Rails, MySql, PostgreSQL, Datadog, and Redis
- Love building tools enabling engineers to move faster, while maintaining security and usability
- Understand the importance of security and compliance when working with personal data
- Test changes thoroughly and likes to double and triple check everything
- Effectively communicate findings and recommendations to technical and non-technical stakeholders
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $144,000 - $172,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $174,000-$208,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Gusto has physical office spaces in Denver, San Francisco, and New York City. Employees who are based in those locations will be expected to work from the office on designated days approximately 2-3 days per week (or more depending on role). The same office expectations apply to all Symmetry roles, Gusto's subsidiary, whose physical office is in Scottsdale.
Note: The San Francisco office expectations encompass both the San Francisco and San Jose metro areas.
When approved to work from a location other than a Gusto office, a secure, reliable, and consistent internet connection is required.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you require assistance in filling out a Gusto job application, please reach out to email@example.com.