Payroll Tax Research Analyst
Gusto has physical office spaces in Denver, San Francisco, and New York City. All Gusto roles posted in these metro areas come with the expectation of working from the office on designated days approximately 2-3 days per week.
- San Francisco Office Metro: San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley, CA & San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA Metropolitan Statistical Areas
- Denver Office Metro: Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO Metropolitan Statistical Area
- New York City Office Metro: New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area
Symmetry, Gusto’s subsidiary, has a physical office in Scottsdale. All Symmetry roles posted in this metro area come with the expectation of working from the office on designated days approximately 2-3 days per week.
- Scottsdale Office Metro: Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler, AZ Metropolitan Statistical Areas
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 300,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Symmetry Software is now part of Gusto. Symmetry is the payroll infrastructure for software & payroll platforms powering the paychecks of over 64 million workers each year. Our fully integrated suite of payroll tax APIs and software tools allows companies to solve tax compliance issues and build applications across the entirety of the payroll process.
We are looking for a bright, friendly, detail-oriented individual to work with our Payroll Tax Research Team. In this role, you will build the foundation for our payroll tax software products by conducting the research necessary to ensure our products are always up-to-date and regulatory compliant. The Tax Research Analyst is responsible for monitoring federal, state, county, and municipal withholding and employer tax rates and forms, documenting changes, and recording them into our client-facing tax rate database. In this role, you’ll collaborate with various teams, providing key research and insight to help Symmetry deliver on our brand promise, which is “The right taxes, the first time.”
If you have a passion for payroll tax research, a mind made for detail, past payroll experience, and a love for providing excellent client service, you may be a good fit for Symmetry Software.
- Provides subject matter expertise and guidance across all areas of payroll tax. Performing research in federal, state, and local payroll tax laws and regulations as well as related withholding forms, reciprocity rules, multi-state taxation and tax treatments for various types of earnings/deductions.
- Contacting various government agencies, preparing email inquiries to tax jurisdictions to obtain clarification when laws or regulations are unclear or have changed.
- Familiar with minimum wages.
- Canadian payroll, payroll taxes and TD1 Personal Tax Credit returns.
- Understanding of employee W-4 forms and how they work.
- Participating in various projects to assure that payroll tax requirements are met.
- Assisting software engineers, account associates, and the support team in understanding payroll tax laws for developing products and communications with clients.
- Assisting client success and support teams with tax rate questions and, when appropriate, providing them supporting documentation.
- Joining industry groups to develop a network of like-minded contacts to share tax information.
- Maintaining excellent records in our information systems regularly.
- This position will report directly to the Manager of Tax Research.
- Working in a collaborative team environment.
- Developing process documentation and workflows.
- Keeps up to date with payroll tax activities, including compliance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Interprets, communicates, and executes changes as needed. Stays current on changing payroll/tax legislation, while keeping the team informed.
- Coordinates efforts between Tax Research and other departments to ensure proper flow and maintenance of tax withholding data, ensuring accuracy.
- Maintains all types of files and provides necessary reports or documentation according to company established procedures. Creates and maintains SOPs as needed, monitors procedures for accuracy and relevance.
- Provides recommendations for continuous process improvement.
Required Skills, Experience, & Mindsets:
- Strong technical skills, including proficiency with automated systems.
- At least three or more years of working experience in payroll tax and/or processing payroll in an in-house environment.
- Two or more years of experience in a software development company (highly desired, but not required).
- Friendly and upbeat personality.
- Payroll tax knowledge for the U.S., U.S. Territories, and Canada
- Excellent analytical/communication and problem-solving abilities.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with a proven ability to succeed working in a team environment.
- Excellent client service skills with an ability to effectively handle and resolve inquiries and issues.
- Ability to think out of the box.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Contributes to the success of the team and Symmetry by being accountable and taking full ownership of work.
- Evaluate content of documents for quality and accuracy, and be able to communicate your findings to others.
- Good time management skills, recognizing the urgency of the matter.
- Finishing deliverables on time and within scope, communicating proactively about obstacles and success.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise extreme discretion, demonstrating a high degree of professionalism and integrity.
- Excellent judgment skills, and a high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet all deadlines.
- Familiar with Google suite of applications.
- Intensive internet research skills are a must have.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration/Finance or equivalent level of knowledge in this relevant field.
- PayrollOrg - FPC certificate required, or the ability to sit for the exam within the first year of employment.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $85,000/yr to $105,000/yr in Scottsdale. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate location, experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.