Principal Product Manager, Payroll
Gusto has physical office spaces in Denver, San Francisco, and New York City. All Gusto roles posted in these metro areas come with the expectation of working from the office on designated days approximately 2-3 days per week.
- San Francisco Office Metro: San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley, CA & San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA Metropolitan Statistical Areas
- Denver Office Metro: Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO Metropolitan Statistical Area
- New York City Office Metro: New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area
Symmetry, Gusto’s subsidiary, has a physical office in Scottsdale. All Symmetry roles posted in this metro area come with the expectation of working from the office on designated days approximately 2-3 days per week.
- Scottsdale Office Metro: Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler, AZ Metropolitan Statistical Areas
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 300,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
We are looking for a customer and data driven Principal Product Manager to join our Payroll team to help re-imagine and build the Payroll of the future.
The Payroll team is responsible for Gusto's flagship product and building the Payroll of the future. This team owns all customer experiences and systems around compliance, taxes, payments, filings, running Payroll, tax operations, and more. As part of this team, you will closely collaborate with Engineers, Designers, Data Scientists, Compliance, Legal, and Operations partners to drive strategy, build products, and impact Gusto’s P&L.
Are you passionate about detailed execution to simplify complex and highly regulated jobs-to-be-done and create delightful solutions for customers? We are looking for an experienced Principal Product Manager with strong strategy, analytics, and leadership skills to join our team. The ideal candidate would have experience working in a highly regulated industry, building and managing complex products at scale, and leading engineering and cross-functional teams.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Tackle complex and ambiguous problems in a highly regulated domain while partnering with Engineering, Design, Data Science, Compliance, Legal, Operations, and other cross-functional teams
- Set goals and strategy for your domain then translate it into a roadmap, milestones, and requirements collaboratively to drive alignment and excitement with your cross-functional partners and stakeholders
- Understand, track and improve key product and business metrics
- Conduct user research to deeply understand customers’ needs, jobs-to-be-done, and then translate into actionable strategy
- Distill insights and data from key stakeholders, industry trends, competitive analysis, business and product metrics, and other sources to guide strategy
- Drive the product development process from concept to launch, ensuring timely delivery of high-quality products that delight customers and result in significant and measurable business impact
- Iterate on mature features using data and customer feedback to identify areas for improvement and optimization, and ensure experiences delight our customers and surpass our business goals
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 8+ years of hands-on product management experience with a proven track record of building products customers love preferably in rapidly scaling companies
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills: ability to articulate and build business models and prioritization
- Ability to set a strategy and translate it into a roadmap requirements and actionable plan
- Ability to define and track metrics to successfully launch and land high impact features
- Experienced driving at-scale features/improvements to mature products.
- High attention to detail, strong bias for action and highly organized.
- Driving end-to-end execution with cross functional partners while building strong partnership and collaboration to garner buy-in across all levels and teams
- Relentlessly focused on customers’ needs, and thrive in working backward from the needs of your customers to build solutions that scale
- Obsessed with creating simple, beautiful, and enjoyable experiences that delight users and make their lives easier
- Experience in distilling complex and ambiguous problems into actionable solutions
- Previous experience in a highly regulated domain and/or in Payroll is a plus
At Gusto, we strive to provide rewards that empower employees to achieve their financial and personal goals. We offer competitive compensation packages with a strong emphasis on equity based compensation (ownership in Gusto). To learn more about Gusto’s compensation philosophy and benefits offerings please view our Total Rewards Approach page.
Our cash compensation range for this role is $186,000/yr to $222,000/yr in Denver & most remote locations, and $219,000/yr to $261,000/yr in San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.