Site Reliability Engineer
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 300,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Gusto’s Infrastructure Engineering team enables our product teams to build impactful products by building secure, resilient, and accessible systems, using tools like AWS, terraform, and Kubernetes.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Design and implement production grade systems that optimize for resiliency while limiting complexity
- Establish standards and build deterministic automation while optimizing for user accessibility and system reliability
- Plan and execute complex and challenging migrations that help Gusto move forward from legacy systems to more efficient, scalable, modern designs.
- Continually improve the on call experience by proposing and implementing long term oriented solutions while optimizing for the sustainability of on call.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 2+ years experience with a scripting language like bash or python, as well as linux
- Strong work ethic and self starter who finds a way to operate effectively amidst ambiguity
- Systems Thinking approach to complex systems who seeks to identify small changes that can create big impact.
- Resilient problem solver capable of doing whatever it takes to get work done in service of our peers as well as the entire Gusto customer base.
- Effective communicator that can simplify complex topics and communicate persuasive ideas
Potentially Relevant Experience:
- Experience designing elegant but simple systems that optimize for resiliency, but can be easily maintained and operated upon
- Experience with cloud platforms like AWS (preferred), GCP, or Azure and correlated IaaS management tools such Terraform (preferred) or pulumi, as well as orchestration layers like Kubernetes
- Experience leading incident remediation for complex systems
Our cash compensation range for this role is $142,000/yr to $226,000/yr in Denver & most remote locations, and $172,000/yr to $265,000/yr in San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Something looks off?