Principal Metrology Engineer - Crystallography
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2021
Diamond Foundry Inc. is the global leader in single-crystal diamond technology. We produce single-crystal diamond (SCD) wafers by crystallizing greenhouse gas into diamond using proprietary plasma reactors powered by zero-emission energy. Founded in 2012 in San Francisco, California by Stanford/M.I.T./Princeton engineers, Diamond Foundry Inc. received $315MM in funding and has had a multi-year track record of profitable fast growth.
We are looking for a dedicated and self-driven Metrology Engineer to help us make our world leading diamond production technology even better. You'll be an integral part of an experienced team of mechanical, electrical, and materials engineers, and at the interface between R&D and production operations in our SSF facility. The position will involve hands-on work with commercial and custom characterization equipment, development of automation, standardization, and throughput optimization strategies, as well as conducting experiments.
Typical salary ranges for this position is $120k - $170k + position is eligible for company shares. Actual compensation may be higher or lower in the range based on various factors, including, but not limited to a candidate’s job duties, experience, and expertise. We will also consider higher level candidates and salary will be adjusted accordingly.
- Characterizing novel and existing products and establishing critical performance parameters that feed back into production and R&D processes.
- Taking ownership of existing instrumentation and leading expansion / customization of capabilities in accordance with company needs.
- Driving and coordinating development of innovative metrology equipment and strategies from proof-of-concept to implementation into manufacturing.
- Developing metrology automation concepts for throughput maximization and resource distribution optimization.
- Effectively communicating results and recommending course of action.
- Working across multidisciplinary teams to attack challenges ranging from demonstration of capability to production deployment.
- Acting as point of contact and knowledgeable resource for area specific questions and/or challenges.
- Partner with vendors to evaluate new metrology equipment and technologies, upgrade existing tools, expand capacity/throughput.
- PhD with 4+ years or Bachelor's degree with 8+ years of relevant experiences in Physics, Material Science, or Engineering from a top university.
- Strong understanding of physical principles in the area of crystallography and ability to apply them in an industrial manufacturing environment.
- Expert in crystallographic techniques such as X-ray diffraction, X-ray tomography.
- Experience in introducing new metrology equipment into a production line and establishing performance metrics.
- Expert in data collection and analysis / interpretation, as well as presentation of experimental findings, DOE, SPC.
- Proficient in measurement & analysis automation / scripting (e.g. LabVIEW, Python).
- Effective communication and ability to thrive in a cross-functional development team.
- Comprehensive knowledge of crystal structure and electronic properties of carbon materials is a plus.
- Position requires successful candidate to be onsite.
Diamond Foundry believes in supporting our employees from the workplace to their personal and home life. We provide eligible employees with an opportunity to enroll in a variety of benefit programs, generally including health insurance, flexible spending accounts, retirement savings plans, life and disability insurance programs, and a number of programs that provide for both paid and unpaid time away from work. Perks include employee discounts to VRAI and catered lunches for onsite staff. All benefits offered are available starting your first day.
Diamond Foundry is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.
Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.
See more open positions at Diamond Foundry
Something looks off?