Sr. / Principal Process Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, February 8, 2024
Diamond Foundry Inc. is solving the thermal limitation at the foundation of today's most exciting tech industries -- AI & cloud compute, electric-car power electronics, and 5G/6G wireless. We have managed to produce the world's first single-crystal diamond wafers and are now on a mission to put a diamond behind every chip. We are the rare unicorn that has grown fast and profitably. We received $515m in funding and are executing a multi-$B expansion plan for one of the greenest forms of tech manufacturing: converting greenhouse gas into diamond wafers using zero-emission energy.
Diamond Foundry is looking for a seasoned Sr. / Principal Process Engineer who will be responsible for the deployment and optimization of new and novel laser machines at Diamond Foundry which will be used across our various facilities. You will be working cross-functionally with teams of mechanical, electrical, automation, optical, software, and system engineers to improve and deploy these technologies company-wide. Produce standard procedures & manuals and train technical staff to perform process optimization, ongoing technical support and improvement of our laser and laser associated processes.
- Optimize novel laser processes to deliver parts that have high dimensional stability.
- Lead significant projects around process improvement to enable scaling of manufacturing.
- Act as SME to assume responsibility for the process and optimization of system controls and data collection with a focus on continuous improvements.
- Suggest & direct hardware and software improvement activities to make better parts and systems for our teams.
- Lead process team to ensure that clear procedures are developed and followed and job priorities are properly set.
- Advanced degree in Materials Engineering, Physics (with a focus on materials, laser, or optics), or Mechanical Engineering, with a minimum of 5+ years of relevant experience. Experience with diamond, semiconductors, and ceramics is a strong plus. (To qualify for the Principal Level: MS + 7 years or PhD + 3 years of experience, highly skilled in multiple technical areas including wafer processing, materials engineering with an emphasis on diamond and/or laser processing, along with advanced statistical analysis applied to high-volume manufacturing. Demonstrated experience in handling multiple complex projects simultaneously).
- Understanding of how optical and contact-based metrology equipment works and trade-offs between various techniques to determine surface finish and product dimensions.
- Wafer process development/manufacturing experience with Six Sigma/lean manufacturing/SPC/APC - Prefer JMP, R, and Python skills.
- The ability to create technical documentation is a key skill.
- Preferred experience: Exposure or experience with smart cameras or machine vision, experience with microscopes, and/or lens selection for machine vision, proficiency in motion systems (G-code/CAM), Six Sigma Black/Green Belt certified, and experience with laser process optimization.
Diamond Foundry believes in supporting our employees from the workplace to their personal and home life. We provide eligible employees with an opportunity to enroll in a variety of benefit programs, generally including health insurance, flexible spending accounts, retirement savings plans, life and disability insurance programs, and a number of programs that provide for both paid and unpaid time away from work. Perks include employee discounts to VRAI. All benefits offered are available starting your first day.
Diamond Foundry is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
Diamond Foundry Inc. is committed to operating in full compliance with all applicable state and federal laws. Our commitment extends to ensuring that our manufacturing and engineering departments adhere to the highest standards of legal and regulatory compliance. Additionally, these departments may have specific physical requirements to ensure the safety and efficiency of our operations. We prioritize the well-being of our employees and strive to create a work environment that promotes both legal compliance and the optimal functioning of our manufacturing and engineering processes.
Manufacturing and Engineering Departments Physical Requirements:
-Use appropriate PPE and follow all safety policies, practices, and procedures.
-This position will often: Sit, stand for long periods, walk, grasp, reach with hands and arms, lift below and above shoulders, bend, twist at the waist, climb, balance, stoop, squat, kneel, crawl, talk, hear, see, use fine finger manipulation, and complete repetitive motions.
-Some tasks may require the use of ladders or stairs
-Some tasks may require driving or the use of foot controls
-Lift/carry and push/pull up to 50 pound
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.
Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.