Power Electronics Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, February 8, 2024
Diamond Foundry Inc. is solving the thermal limitation at the foundation of today's most exciting tech industries -- AI & cloud compute, electric-car power electronics, and 5G/6G wireless. We have managed to produce the world's first single-crystal diamond wafers and are now on a mission to put a diamond behind every chip. We are the rare unicorn that has grown fast and profitably. We received $515m in funding and are executing a multi-$B expansion plan for one of the greenest forms of tech manufacturing: converting greenhouse gas into diamond wafers using zero-emission energy.
We are seeking an experienced Power Electronics Engineer to join our team. The ideal candidate will have more than 3 years of hands-on experience in electrical controls and power electronics, with expertise in inverter or AC-DC or DC-DC converter testing. Experience with Altium PCB design software and SolidWorks is desirable. As a Power Electronics Engineer, you will be responsible for a range of tasks, including design, testing, troubleshooting, and project planning in the electrical engineering domain. This role will involve significant hands-on and lab bench work.
- Design and test power electronics circuits, including control boards and driver boards, adhering to automotive standards and customer requirements.
- Utilize Altium PCB design software to create schematic drawings and PCB layouts, ensuring accuracy, reliability, and manufacturability.
- Conduct board-level testing and troubleshooting, utilizing your expertise in electrical controls and power electronics.
- Perform hands-on lab bench work, including component selection, soldering, assembly, and system integration.
- Create and present technical design reviews, contributing to industry forums and discussions.
- Develop and guide the utilization of electrical engineering processes, incorporating best practices for PCB design and manufacturing.
- Familiarize yourself with power switches, system basis chips, gate drivers, and analog/digital sensing and controls, applying them appropriately to meet project needs.
- Perform circuit simulations using tools such as LTspice or Pspice to validate designs and optimize performance.
- Analyze failures and provide effective solutions, utilizing your troubleshooting skills and knowledge of power electronics.
- Collaborate with other engineering domains to ensure seamless integration, product capability, and performance.
- Utilize SolidWorks to support mechanical design integration and verify space and mounting requirements for power electronic components.
- Translate customer requirements into product specifications and interface with customer representatives to ensure their needs are met.
- Size and calculate the necessary electrical parts for system implementation based on project requirements.
- Provide analysis reports for system evaluation, communicating results effectively to stakeholders.
- Serve as a key technical expert in discussions and communications with customers.
- Lead and provide direction to a team of individuals, including co-ops and junior engineers, as needed.
- Master's or bachelor's degree in electronics or a related field, with equivalent experience.
- Must have 3 + years of practical industry experience in electrical controls and power electronics, ideally with exposure to inverter or AC-DC or DC-DC converter testing. (Outside of academic setting)
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to create and deliver technical presentations effectively.
- Proficient in the development and guidance of electrical engineering processes.
- Familiarity with power switches, system basis chips, gate drivers, and analog/digital sensing and controls.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and experience in board-level testing and analysis.
- Experience with Altium PCB design software for schematic capture and layout design.
- Familiarity with SolidWorks for mechanical integration and verification.
- Proficiency in circuit simulations using tools such as LTspice or Pspice.
- Ability to perform hands-on lab bench work, including component selection, soldering, assembly, and system integration.
- Ability to conduct failure analysis and provide effective solutions.
- Familiarity with necessary testing apparatus and equipment.
- Experience in project planning within the electrical engineering domain.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to lead and provide direction to a team.
- Capability to interface effectively with customers, serving as a key technical expert.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and able to work independently and as part of a team.
Joining our team as a Power Electronics Engineer offers an exciting opportunity to contribute to cutting-edge projects in the field of power electronics. If you have a passion for electrical controls, power electronics, and automotive applications, along with experience in Altium PCB design software, SolidWorks, and hands-on lab bench work, we encourage you to apply and become an integral part of our dynamic team.
Diamond Foundry believes in supporting our employees from the workplace to their personal and home life. We provide eligible employees with an opportunity to enroll in a variety of benefit programs, generally including health insurance, flexible spending accounts, retirement savings plans, life and disability insurance programs, and a number of programs that provide for both paid and unpaid time away from work. Perks include employee discounts to VRAI. All benefits offered are available starting your first day.
Diamond Foundry is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
Diamond Foundry Inc. is committed to operating in full compliance with all applicable state and federal laws. Our commitment extends to ensuring that our manufacturing and engineering departments adhere to the highest standards of legal and regulatory compliance. Additionally, these departments may have specific physical requirements to ensure the safety and efficiency of our operations. We prioritize the well-being of our employees and strive to create a work environment that promotes both legal compliance and the optimal functioning of our manufacturing and engineering processes.
Manufacturing and Engineering Departments Physical Requirements:
-Use appropriate PPE and follow all safety policies, practices, and procedures.
-This position will often: Sit, stand for long periods, walk, grasp, reach with hands and arms, lift below and above shoulders, bend, twist at the waist, climb, balance, stoop, squat, kneel, crawl, talk, hear, see, use fine finger manipulation, and complete repetitive motions.
-Some tasks may require the use of ladders or stairs
-Some tasks may require driving or the use of foot controls
-Lift/carry and push/pull up to 50 pound
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.
Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.