Senior R&D Process Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2024
Diamond Foundry Inc. is solving the thermal limitation at the foundation of today's most exciting tech industries -- AI & cloud compute, electric-car power electronics, and 5G/6G wireless. We have managed to produce the world's first single-crystal diamond wafers and are now on a mission to put a diamond behind every chip. We are the rare unicorn that has grown fast and profitably. We received $515m in funding and are executing a multi-$B expansion plan for one of the greenest forms of tech manufacturing: converting greenhouse gas into diamond wafers using zero-emission energy.
We're seeking a highly skilled and experienced R&D Process Engineer to pioneer the development of processes enabling the application of diamonds in AI chips and power electronics. As an integral part of our seasoned team of mechanical, electrical, and materials engineers, you will play a key role in advancing the development of the Si thinning and polishing process to enable advanced bonding for maximizing diamond-enhanced performance. An ideal candidate brings expertise in Si thinning/polishing processes and a track record of on-time, within-budget project delivery through effective cross-functional teamwork.
- Develop 200mm/300mm CMOS wafer thinning/polishing processes to achieve ultrathin Si with semiconductor grade flatness and roughness.
- Develop temporary bonding processes for device wafer/die on carrier wafers to support subsequent thinning and/or permanent bonding processes.
- Develop technology and processes to singulate thinned device wafers bonded on carrier wafers.
- Engage with equipment vendors to facilitate tool acquisition, installation, and qualification.
- Design and execute DOE to optimize the process to achieve high quality, low cost, and good manufacturability, and create comprehensive documentations of process control scheme for the operation team to ensure smooth production ramp.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the thinning/polishing process and equipment in the semiconductor, HDD, MEMS, or related industries, and experience in temporary bonding adhesive and process is a plus.
- Solid understanding of surface and substrate roughness, cleanness, flatness, warpage characterization metrologies, including AFM, WLI, profiler, CSAM, CLSM.
- Skilled in statistical data analytics, including DOE, JMP, SPC, APC and FMEA, and experienced in Lean Manufacturing/Six Sigma methodologies and practices.
- Effective communication skills and ability to thrive in a cross-functional development team.
- Position requires the successful candidate to be onsite at Fremont and San Jose facilities.
Diamond Foundry believes in supporting our employees from the workplace to their personal and home life. We provide eligible employees with an opportunity to enroll in a variety of benefit programs, generally including health insurance, flexible spending accounts, retirement savings plans, life and disability insurance programs, and a number of programs that provide for both paid and unpaid time away from work. Perks include employee discounts to VRAI. All benefits offered are available starting your first day.
Diamond Foundry is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
Diamond Foundry Inc. is committed to operating in full compliance with all applicable state and federal laws. Our commitment extends to ensuring that our manufacturing and engineering departments adhere to the highest standards of legal and regulatory compliance. Additionally, these departments may have specific physical requirements to ensure the safety and efficiency of our operations. We prioritize the well-being of our employees and strive to create a work environment that promotes both legal compliance and the optimal functioning of our manufacturing and engineering processes.
Manufacturing and Engineering Departments Physical Requirements:
-Use appropriate PPE and follow all safety policies, practices, and procedures.
-This position will often: Sit, stand for long periods, walk, grasp, reach with hands and arms, lift below and above shoulders, bend, twist at the waist, climb, balance, stoop, squat, kneel, crawl, talk, hear, see, use fine finger manipulation, and complete repetitive motions.
-Some tasks may require the use of ladders or stairs
-Some tasks may require driving or the use of foot controls
-Lift/carry and push/pull up to 50 pound
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.
Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.