Principal Metrology Engineer - X-Ray Crystallography
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 7, 2023
Diamond Foundry Inc. is solving the thermal limitation at the foundation of today's most exciting tech industries -- AI & cloud compute, electric-car power electronics, and 5G/6G wireless. We have managed to produce the world's first single-crystal diamond wafers and are now on a mission to put a diamond behind every chip. We are the rare unicorn that has grown fast and profitably. We received $515m in funding and are executing a multi-$B expansion plan for one of the greenest forms of tech manufacturing: converting greenhouse gas into diamond wafers using zero-emission energy.
We are seeking an ambitious, skilled and versatile Principal Metrology Engineer. In this role, you will play a key role in the development and implementation of metrology for single-crystal diamond for technological applications to be used in research and development as well as production. You'll be an integral part of an experienced team of mechanical, electrical, and materials engineers, and at the interface between R&D and production operations in our SSF facilities. The position will involve hands-on work with commercial and custom characterization equipment, development of automation, standardization, and throughput optimization strategies, as well as conducting experiments.
- Characterizing novel and existing products using X-ray diffraction techniques and establishing critical performance parameters that feed back into production and R&D processes.
- Taking ownership of existing X-ray diffraction instrumentation and leading expansion/customization of capabilities in accordance with company needs.
- Effectively communicating results and recommending a course of action.
- Working across multidisciplinary teams and acting as a point of contact and knowledgeable resource for crystallography, crystal growth and X-ray diffraction-specific questions and/or challenges.
- Partner with vendors to evaluate new X-ray equipment and technologies, upgrade existing tools, and expand capacity/throughput.
- PhD with 4+ years or Bachelor's degree with 8+ years of relevant experience in Physics, Material Science, or Engineering from a top university.
- Expert level knowledge and proficiency in materials science and analysis by X-ray techniques, including single crystal diffraction and X-ray tomography.
- Strong background in crystallography and crystal growth.
- Expert in data collection and analysis/interpretation, measurement & analysis automation/scripting (e.g. LabVIEW, Python) as well as presentation of experimental findings, DOE, SPC.
- Effective communication and ability to thrive in a cross-functional development team.
Diamond Foundry believes in supporting our employees from the workplace to their personal and home life. We provide eligible employees with an opportunity to enroll in a variety of benefit programs, generally including health insurance, flexible spending accounts, retirement savings plans, life and disability insurance programs, and a number of programs that provide for both paid and unpaid time away from work. Perks include employee discounts to VRAI. All benefits offered are available starting your first day.
Diamond Foundry is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
Diamond Foundry Inc. is committed to operating in full compliance with all applicable state and federal laws. Our commitment extends to ensuring that our manufacturing and engineering departments adhere to the highest standards of legal and regulatory compliance. Additionally, these departments may have specific physical requirements to ensure the safety and efficiency of our operations. We prioritize the well-being of our employees and strive to create a work environment that promotes both legal compliance and the optimal functioning of our manufacturing and engineering processes.
Manufacturing and Engineering Departments Physical Requirements:
-Use appropriate PPE and follow all safety policies, practices, and procedures.
-This position will often: Sit, stand for long periods, walk, grasp, reach with hands and arms, lift below and above shoulders, bend, twist at the waist, climb, balance, stoop, squat, kneel, crawl, talk, hear, see, use fine finger manipulation, and complete repetitive motions.
-Some tasks may require the use of ladders or stairs
-Some tasks may require driving or the use of foot controls
-Lift/carry and push/pull up to 50 pound
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.
Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.