Who We Are
DarwinAI is an innovative industry 4.0 company that is transforming manufacturing by instilling trust in Artificial Intelligence. Our new visual quality inspection system provides electronics manufacturers with an end-to-end offering that improves product quality and production efficiency for Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs). Numerous Fortune 500 companies have adopted our technology to integrate AI into their processes and create tangible value.
PCBs, which are ubiquitous and embedded in everything from microwaves to cameras, are notoriously difficult to visually inspect due to different board sizes and complicated geometries. Moreover, the global shortage of semiconductors and PCBs, exemplified by the recent CHIPS act in the United States, has given rise to circumstances that favor disruption. Disruption that we are proud and excited to spearhead.
Our IP stems from years of research (+500 research papers and awards) led by Dr. Alexander Wong, Canada’s Research Chair in AI, at the Vision and Image Processing Lab at the University of Waterloo. It has been featured at numerous conferences, including MIT EmTech, NeurIPS, GTC, and most recently, the IPC Expo.
DarwinAI has also received several accolades, including numerous awards from Great Place to Work® as a top Canadian employer, named to the IRCAI/United Nations’s Top 10 Outstanding Sustainability Projects, and CB Insight's AI 100 list of the 100 most promising private AI companies globally.
We’re a fast-moving organization that fosters a dynamic, collaborative and exciting work environment for all our employees. We’re looking for a passionate, hardworking individual who is eager to learn and flourish in this atmosphere.
In this role, you’ll own the design and manufacturing process of our machine vision imaging systems with the assistance of our Engineering, Applied AI and Product teams. You’ll additionally collaborate with these teams and a contract manufacturer to develop design iterations to create a fully integrated product for PCBA quality inspection in our customers’ factories.
Such a role will entail owning and tracking the electromechanical design of the systems, including optics. It will additionally require that you work closely with our procurement team to identify and secure all the necessary parts for production. Over time, you’ll liaison with an external manufacturing partner to construct our systems at scale, troubleshooting and iterating as necessary.
The fusion of hardware design, bleeding-edge AI, and a challenging domain will be challenging, enthralling, and (hopefully) deeply rewarding.
- 3-5 years experience
- Proficiency with a solid-modeling CAD Suite (OnShape preferably, SolidWorks)
- Experience with mechanical assembly and electrical interfacing
- Shop skills for rapid prototyping (handheld power tools, 3D printing and CNC milling)
- Industrial manufacturing experience or industrial product design
- Ability to produce documentation to support the design cycle
- Knowledge and experience working with and troubleshooting electromechanical and opto-electrical components (electric actuators, controllers, machine vision cameras, lenses, and illuminators)
- Experience with parts sourcing and procurement
- Experience with off-the-shelf optics component selection and imaging experimentation (camera sensors, lenses, illuminators)
- Self-starter, with the ability to manage set objectives and execute with minimum supervision
- Experience with documentation of control practices including detailed Bill of Materials and management of controlled product changes
- Ability to effectively collaborate with other teams, including process improvements and documentation
- Working in an agile startup environment where you can make a genuine impact makes you excited
- Ability and willingness to physically come into our Waterloo based headquarters to interact with the machinery on a very regular basis
- Professional Engineering (P.Eng.) designation
Nice to haves include:
- Familiarity with industrial automation systems such as: PLCs, conveyor systems, machine vision cameras and optics
- Familiarity with PCBA manufacturing
- Manufacturing engineering experience is a bonus
What we have to offer you:
- A rewarding career path where you can sharpen your skills and showcase your talent
- An environment where you’re recognized, appreciated and rewarded for hard work
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (Yes. Unlimited paid vacation - within reason, of course!)
- Health & Wellness Allowance Program
- Competitive Salary
- Employee Stock Option Purchase Plan
- Comprehensive Group Health, Dental & Vision Benefit Plan
- Maternity & Paternity Leave Top-Up Program
- Quarterly team building initiatives
At DarwinAI, we recruit the best and foster an environment that empowers our team. That means a workplace that is diverse, inclusive, and open-minded. We welcome applicants of all backgrounds, regardless of race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability.
Don’t sweat it if you don’t have every requirement listed in a job description! Our values celebrate continuous learning and pushing boundaries to achieve ambitious goals. If you embody these qualities and believe a position at DarwinAI will make you excited to work every day, then we want to hear from you!