Robotics Support Team Manager (Remote)
At Canvas we are developing technology that improves the quality and affordability of the places where we work and live while improving the working conditions of the people who build these spaces. Our mission is to empower people to build in bold new ways. Our team has spent the past several years engineering and developing a new machine that keeps workers safe, improves their job conditions, and produces great budget, schedule and quality outcomes. At the same time, we have been building a culture at Canvas that empowers our employees to do their best work, while having fun and advancing their careers.
We are looking for a highly adaptive candidate to help us take our product’s performance on construction sites to the next level. We need a Technical Support Team Manager to help us support and grow our Technical Support Function. This position will not only have a lot of impact on our processes, but also on our culture. Reporting to our Sr. Customer Operations Team Manager, Alana Yoel, you will manage a team as well as provide support to customers while our technology is deployed on site. Currently, there is one Robotics Support Technician that reports into this role.
This is NOT an IT focused role.
Who You Are:
- Based in San Francisco (or commutable distance) or Remote
- Able to work typical West Coast construction hours 6am-2pm PST, with semi-frequent working hours starting at 3am PST
- Management/Lead: You have experience with at least one direct report or have been the go-to person to help others on your team. You know the tools your team uses well (i.e. Jira, Zoom, Google Suite, Salesforce, NetSuite) and have even acted as an admin for those. You’ve led team meetings and have liaised with other internal teams, being the voice of your department. You have helped to be the buffer for escalations and urgent issues, all while staying calm under pressure. Besides contributing meaningfully on an individual basis to team goals, you also have your mind on broader team strategy.
- Technical Expertise: You have experience working with, diagnosing, and/or troubleshooting electromechanical systems. Those that you work with, whether internal or external would describe you as approachable, empathetic, and helpful. You take detailed notes when working on issues so that you can include any relevant information in your needed documentation and follow up. You have experience working with and helping people from a diverse background and skillset to where you modify your communication style to meet your audience. You’ve explained complex configurations to that same variety of people in a digestible, helpful manner. While you can follow instructions and a proper ticketing process, you are able to think critically about other possible solutions. Even though you might not have all of the answers, you are resourceful and use your intuition to dig deeper into issues and follow up in a timely manner with customers. You are excited to learn about the integration of software and hardware (i.e. sensors and other robotic components).
- Process Improvement Focus: You’ve had to roll up your sleeves to develop tools, processes and best practices to ensure end users have the support they need to use the tools/services your company offers. Always looking for ways to make a process more efficient, repeatable, scalable and automated is top of mind. You are able to manage expectations across many different stakeholders through clear communication and actionable follow up. Facilitating continuous feedback loops between end users and internal teams to enable continuous improvement is imperative in your work.
- Preferably, experience with rolling out a technical support ticketing system, robotics and fluent (verbal and written) in Spanish.
- If there are items under the “Who You Are” section that you are working towards or would like to pursue, we still encourage you to apply. Our promise is that a real person is reviewing your application when received.
What You’ll Do:
- In 30 days, you will…
- Attend a two-week mandatory in-person machine training in San Francisco to learn about drywall finishing, our robot (i.e. functionality, systems, and basic troubleshooting), and the workflow of operators in the field
- Complete basic safety training on the machine
- Read through manuals and training materials about the machine and its various systems, starting to become familiar with our technical support documentation
- Shadow experienced Canvas Certified Finishers (CCFs) using the machine and the Technical Support Team during on-call shifts
- Learn about our ticketing and escalation process, attending weekly ticket triage meetings
- Begin developing a relationship with your direct report
- In 60 days, you will…
- Begin to take technical support shifts on your own helping operators problem solve, using the Tech Support Team for additional support as needed
- Fill out tickets in our Jira board correctly, and help move them through the appropriate workflows toward resolution
- Escalate urgent issues to the Tech Support Team. Follow the chain of communication and action, as a resolution is reached.
- Begin interfacing directly with engineering on follow up actions required on tickets
- Begin interfacing directly with the various field-oriented teams (Training, Field Ops, Field Service) on managing and resolving fleet issues
- Follow up with the engineering team to keep track of outstanding tickets
- Use knowledge of other issues to troubleshoot more advanced issues on your own
- Take full responsibility of the manager role with your direct report
- In 90 days, you will…
- Be the primary buffer for all tech support escalations. If not drawing from your own knowledge to resolve an issue, acting quickly to route the problem through the appropriate escalation channels.
- Review release notes with the Tech Support Team, and update technical documentation
- Provide support and serviceability feedback to product / eng teams on upcoming new hardware and software
- In a year, you will…
- Troubleshoot through never before seen issues
- Update troubleshooting documentation with new information
- Design more efficient processes for managing call volume and ticket processing
- Help select and setup new support tools to help Canvas scale
- Assist with hiring process and onboarding of new support team members
- Develop roadmap and strategic plan for the support function as Canvas scales
See the base annual salary range for this position, in the selected city, below. Compensation may vary outside of this range depending on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, experience, location, and market conditions. Base pay is one part of the total compensation that is provided to recognize employees for their work, and this role may be eligible for additional discretionary bonuses, incentives, and stock options.
Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is a condition of employment at Canvas. We provide accommodations for religious or medical reasons.
Canvas is an Equal Opportunity Employer - we do not discriminate in hiring, promotions, or any other way on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Canvas is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact Andi Martinez, Recruiting Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org, 415-906-9640).