El Segundo, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2023
At Beyond Meat, we started with simple questions. Why do you need an animal to create meat? Why can’t you build meat directly from plants? Thus, we make plant-based meats that allow families to eat more, not less, of the traditional dishes they love while feeling great about the health, sustainability, and animal welfare benefits of plant protein. Our goal is to bring exciting change to the plate—and Beyond.
The R&D Team is a matrix organization within Beyond Meat that is dedicated to creating food products that are leading the gold standard in plant-based proteins. We are looking for an outstanding individual to join the team located in El Segundo, CA as an Engineer II specializing in Extrusion.
This Extrusion Engineer will be responsible for the safe and efficient development of food processes at pilot- or production-scale; development and modification of food processing equipment; modification and manufacture of food products and samples; and leading pilot and/or production trials. They will model and design new equipment and applications that support R&D innovation.
The ideal candidate will be a problem-solver and have a keen interest in transferring bench-top processes to pilot- or production-scale processes for innovative food products that may require implementing new processes on scale. A team-oriented perspective is a must. They will also have the opportunity to make an immediate impact on innovation, initiate creative product development, and develop skills described herein.
TASKS, DUTIES, & GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the R&D team in attaining short and long-term product development goals, adapting to evolving scientific priorities
- Provide written and verbal reports on work and pilot trials, including analysis of process and product operations
- Foundation understanding with demonstrated experience in extrusion processing
- Experience in applying robust science, data capture and project management in executing aggressive process development from pilot stage through to the commissioning and qualification of new food product introductions into high volume production for commercial launches
- Documentation of extrusion line capabilities and processes at pilot and commercial scale
- Development and effective execution of Design of Experiments (DOE), sensitivity, scaling, and process capability trials
- Create experimental protocol and identify variables to alter to meet desired process/product characteristics
- Demonstrate mature knowledge of process/machinery parameters and effects on product quality
- Identify and test new equipment for the development of new products
- Collaborate with formulation team on new product development
- Identify key process variables and their effects on scale up
- Assist in creation process flow diagrams and identifies necessary equipment for proper product quality
- Collect and lead data analysis to ensure efficiency and contextualize those results as part of the larger team effort; present and communicate results at whole cross-functional R&D team meetings
- Initiate new processes, formulations, cost saving analysis, and experiments based on findings to improve product yield Point of contact for select innovation projects
- Communicate accurate deadlines to general project team for timely completion of R&D projects
- Cross functional collaboration and communication within and outside (i.e.. vendors, suppliers, customers etc.) Beyond Meat teams Manage select R&D project scopes within their functional group and design experiments to meet project needs
- Conduct research and summarize findings on new process technology in formal reports and for group presentations Write and revise SOPs as needed in accordance with standard work practices
- Understand process requirements and identify new equipment for various food processing steps both for bench-top and larger scale experiments
- Conduct pilot-scale experiments and potentially test new equipment at various vendors
- Optimize and troubleshoot processes and equipment to ensure desired product quality attributes are being achieved
- Coordinate production test runs and provide technical leadership and operational oversight for food processing operations
- Train team members on new equipment
- Participation in sensory studies may be required
- Maintain and follow GMP and Lab safety protocols in compliance with EH&S guidelines
- Perform other assigned responsibilities and scientific techniques as needed
Supervisory Duties (if applicable)
- Lead, manage, and supervise Engineers, Associate Engineers, Food Technologists, Research Associates, and/or Process Technicians in the planning and execution of research and product development projects; accountable for the performance and results of team members
- Provide mentorship and training to functional team members
- Accountable for developing talent through on-going performance feedback and career management coaching
QUALIFICATIONS: Education, Technical Skills, and/or Previous Experience
- B.S. OR M.S. in food engineering, mechanical, electrical or chemical engineering or equivalent and 2-4 years of related experience OR technical college with 6 - 7 years of experience
- Extrusion experience required, food extrusion preferred
- Demonstrate knowledge of mechanical assembly, machinery operation, formulation, food processing equipment and scale-up
- Knowledge of EHS, food safe production practices, and regulations
- Strong verbal, presentation, and written communication skills
- Strong command of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Suite
- Be self-directed and work effectively and collaboratively with a diverse, dynamic team
- Independently manage multiple projects at one time and meet strict deadlines in a highly demanding and dynamic environment
- Work closely with senior leadership and direct reports by communicating ongoing progress updates
- This position may require the ability to work rotating shifts or beyond business hours
- Position requires the ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and occasionally lift up to 25-50 pounds, with or without reasonable accommodations
- Position located in a mix of typical laboratory, pilot lab and office environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, dust, and varying room temperatures and lighting
- Able to work in a cold environment for extended periods of time while maintaining food safety protocols
- Some travel may be necessary to apply pilot learnings to production scale trials
Beyond Meat is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, gender identify, sexual orientation, national origin, liability for military service, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. If you are interested in learning the status of your application, please note you will be contacted directly by the appropriate human resources contact person if you are selected for further consideration. Beyond Meat reserves the right to defer or close a vacancy at any time.
Please note that Beyond Meat has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. All U.S. employees who (a) physically enter a Beyond Meat facility in the United States, (b) represent Beyond Meat at work-related events, including but not limited to trade shows and product demonstrations, or (c) physically enter customer or potential customer sites in connection with their work for Beyond Meat must take all necessary steps to be Fully Vaccinated as a condition of employment, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved.
See more open positions at Beyond Meat
Something looks off?