TASKS, DUTIES, & GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in ideation, design, set up, and execution of pilot-scale experiments
- Assist in identifying and testing new equipment for the development of new products in pilot plant
- Optimize and troubleshoot processes and equipment to ensure desired product quality attributes are being achieved
- Effectively communicate, coordinate, and execute within process engineering and the cross-functional product commercialization teams to assure well aligned and delivered process engineering learnings, achievements, and ultimate production line capabilities and results
- Works collaboratively between Beyond Meat’s R&D and Operations teams on new and renovated product development and introduction programs to assure that the product and its production-intent processes meet program objectives, manufacturability, timelines, and cost targets
- Organizes and conducts process engineering development, PFDs, energy and mass balance, process and equipment trials, process design, specification, commissioning, and verification of food manufacturing processes and equipment for production-intent capability, scale, and readiness
- Strong communication skills and ability to create collaborative relationships with cross functional teams within the organization
- Execute and complete process engineering projects and activities required for the successful development and commercialization of food manufacturing processes and equipment
- Assessing and identifying existing (in the BYND manufacturing network) or new food manufacturing process equipment and technology solutions for new or renovated products being pursued. Ability to assess creative ideas and suggest them for future commercialization
- Advancing product and process development from the feasibility stage to final new product introduction and production launch. Working collaboratively with the various commercialization, R&D, manufacturing, quality, and supply chain teams throughout the process.
- Developing and achieving product and process viability and design-for-manufacturability at pilot scale which is scalable and capable of meeting project objectives. Identifying key product and process parameters and scaling factors necessary for production scale-up and success.
- Ensuring quality and food safety critical control points and requirements are built into the equipment and process specifications.
- Establishing engineering specifications and providing engineering oversight for equipment and associated tooling selection, procurement, installation, and commissioning.
- Developing cost estimates, budgets (capital and expense), and associated plans for the process engineering portion of project activities, equipment, and tooling requirements.
- Problem solving ability to simplify complex processes/situations and figure out the steps to get things done in practice.
- Customer service orientation that seeks to understand and anticipate the needs of others, while practicing attentive and active listening and flexing style to meet the requirements of changing situations.
- Maintain and follow GMP and Lab safety protocols in compliance with EH&S guidelines.
QUALIFICATIONS: Education, Technical Skills, and/or Previous Experience
- BS in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Process Engineering, Biosystems Engineering or Food Process Engineering required
- 2-5 years of relevant food process engineering experience working with R&D, Commercialization, and Operations in NPI process development, production scale-up, and commercial launches, required
- Experience in the food industry is required
- GMP and SQF experience is preferred
- Proven demonstrated engineering experience in an aggressive growth business environment with a track record of overcoming difficult challenges in achieving business and project objectives
- Successful process engineering development, scale-up, and commissioning skills with a track record of establishing and executing high value-add work output, trials, and production launch results
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office and Google Suite. DOE software, AutoCAD, CFD is a plus
- Must be willing to travel up to 50% of the time to facilities and suppliers in North America, and at times internationally.
- Hands on with the experiment and working with equipment during scale up process
- Position requires the ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and consistently lift up to 50 lbs.
- Position is located in El Segundo, California and in a mix of Pilot Plant, Laboratory, Plant Facilities, and Office Environments; requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, and varying room temperatures and lighting