Director, Laboratory Operations
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, September 7, 2023
At Anagenex, we combine machine learning with massively parallel biochemical tools such as DNA Encoded Libraries (DELs) and Affinity Selected Mass Spectrometry (ASMS) to analyze more compounds more efficiently than ever before. By working with large datasets throughout our search process and letting our machine learning model guide our experiments, we are able to find molecules for the hardest problems in drug discovery, bringing first in class and best in class treatments to patients.
As a fully integrated team of experts in biology, chemistry and machine learning, we work as one to find new medicines. Collaborating across these divergent disciplines gives team members exposure and understanding into differing approaches for solving complex challenges. Autonomy and trust ground our flexible working environment, enabling us to succeed against a broad range of targets in drug discovery.
Introducing: Director, Laboratory Operations
The Director, Laboratory Operations will facilitate a safe, efficient, and welcoming environment for employees and visitors alike at Anagenex’s office and laboratory in Lexington, MA. This full-time role reports to the Chief Scientific Officer and is responsible for key partnerships with external vendors as well as our internal team to manage the environment, health, and safety (EHS) protocols and general operations of our facilities. You will work onsite and act as the first point of contact for a variety of inquiries, and organize the response in tandem with the necessary stakeholders.
- Maintenance and management of laboratory and office space, including acquisition and installation of laboratory equipment
- Manage and coordinate laboratory safety and compliance, including responses to lab-related emergenciesVendor partnerships, including:
- Virtual Lab Manager to purchase equipment and supplies
- Outsourced IT to manage systems infrastructure and cybersecurity
- Train and mentor Laboratory Operations Specialist
- Procurement and budget management for the laboratory
- Import and exports of laboratory shipments
- IT oversight and evaluation
Skills & expertise you have:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in life sciences, engineering, or related field
- 8+ years of experience working in laboratory and facilities management
- Excellent Project Management skills
- Familiarity with environmental health and safety protocols including OSHA, EPA, NIH and other relevant guidelines for lab environments, specifically Biosafety Level 2
- Prior knowledge of techniques, equipment, materials used for biotechnology
- Experience responding to IT and facilities requests
The seniority and title for this role may be adjusted based on your actual qualifications, and we will consider candidates with Manager, Supervisor, and Director positions. If your resume does not check off every requirement listed above, we still welcome your application!
Within 1 month, you’ll…
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the current state of laboratory and facility operations at Anagenex
- Establish relationships with key vendors and external partners
- Familiarize yourself with the routine tasks handled by the Laboratory Operations team
Within 3 months, you’ll…
- Set operational standards the internal team and vendors will be accountable to
- Identify and document annual laboratory and facility needs for compliance and other areas, and present the calendar to the scientific leadership team
- Propose general organizational improvements to our laboratory and facility operations
Within 6 months, you’ll…
- Implement approved proposals for organizational improvements to our laboratory and facility operations
- Streamline laboratory inventory management for the functional scientific research teams
- Expand documentation and resources to solve common problems employees face
Within 12 months, you’ll…
- Coordinate with Scientific Leadership team to understand the direction of our research and development, and use that information to guide hiring plan and vendor selection for the Laboratory and Facilities Operations team
- Contribute to the development of our operational framework in collaboration with the other Operations team members
Anagenex's benefits and perks:
- Healthcare/Dental/Vision insurance plans, with premiums 100% covered for employees and 50% covered for dependents.
- FSA and HSA programs.
- 401k program.
- Equity compensation.
- Unlimited vacation policy.
- Annual professional development budget for all employees.
We are currently a distributed company with physical locations in San Francisco and Boston. We support remote work, but strongly prefer a continental US timezone.
We prioritize the health and safety of our employees, and require all employees to be Fully Vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to work onsite. If hired, candidates must present proof of vaccination on a confidential basis prior to their scheduled start date confirming that they have completed the COVID-19 vaccination process, subject to any written request for medical or religious accommodation and to the extent permitted by applicable law.
Anagenex is an equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive and equitable workplace. We recognize diversity is a strength and value the differing voices, backgrounds, and perspectives on our team. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Anagenex is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.